Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Another cooling system

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what about an air to liquid precooler?.... let the room temps remove most of the heat prior to the water cooler stage, meh.... nevermind..... not enough differential I guess

this is the type of HE i would be looking at:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-Chevrol...1de3e3&vxp=mtr

(junkyard automotive, specific link is just an example)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if all that tweaking and improvising is just a waste of time. Perhaps I should just take the evaporator coils from both water cooler and refrigerator and stick them into a Styrofoam box with water like robthered did with his AC unit

...I have too much free time..

P.S. Funny I was just thinking that I left the car at our family mechanic's shop today and that I should ask him about spare small radiators/heat exchangers/heater cores when I'll pick it up and then saw your last post!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Common sense indicates if it was an easy to do, efficient method.... people would be doing it on a larger scale....

dunno what to tell ya.... youre in awfully deep at this point mate

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So besides using the heat exchanger instead of copper coils what would you have done differently, or what would you recommend for the current setup?

Actually, I was wondering, if you were designing a cooling system for a large terrarium from scratch how would you have done it (just rough outline)?

Thank you!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest, I would use a aquarium chiller with automotive heater core w/ fan or a portable AC unit (which would be the cheapest way out)

I dont know what to tell ya on your current setup beyond the additional HE......

The ideal system would be a used floral display case with some good high CRI white LED's...... but then, I dont drive a Bentley

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLORAL-DISPL...211#vi-content
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 06-04-2012 at 09:00 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Av8tor1 View Post
    LOL, i edited out the flattening of coils comment LOL.....

Gill, dont know for sure mate..... but a few copper coils are very ineffiicent

Either way would be an improvement IMHO....
    surface area for exchange greater with the all the fins in the radiator. More surface area more area for release of heat. Trying to maximize surface area of the thingy for releasing the heat per unit of area. Sort of the deal we see with plants growing in light limited areas making leaves to optimize for surface area of light capture.... Dunno how things work out for radiators or ACs.....

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, going to stick one radiator into the water cooler assuming it fits. And will try to find another larger radiator for the refrigerator section. In addition I'll get some insulation for the aquarium sometime late this week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im thinking of just buying a high rating energy efficient window A/C and hooking it up to a thermostat with a probe in the tank. have a simple insulated duct pipe to direct the air into the tank. The portable A/Cs are more money and mu tank will be next to a window anyway.