Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Another cooling system

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gill_za View Post
    Very detailed. Now I'm off hunting for a parts (well perhaps tomorrow)
    Thanks for the write up!

P.S. How about the windshield washer liquid instead of glycol and water mixture, the one that goes to -20F as the coolant?
    I don’t think I will need the barbs for radiator since they come built in in the one I'm looking at.
    Hey gill_za,

Windshield washer liquid should work, just check though to make sure it doesnt bubble up like soap. Just shake it up when you buy it and see. Essentially you could use anything that lowers the freezing point of the water, so you could mix salt into the water if you wanted instead of getting antifreeze. Whatever you put into the mix, make sure you test it all with just pure water in it first. You dont wanna fill it with anti freeze, mount it into your tank, flip it on and have it leak all over your plants. Lemme know how your stuff turns out

I gotta get some slabs of plexiglass so that i can finish off the sliding doors on my tank, and then I'll be mounting my setup into it. I'll post pics once it's all done.
    cheers,
    Rob
    My CP Page (WIP) See my webpage for my Grow List
    Modified AC for Highland Terrarium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glycerol can be used as an alternative to glycol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antifreeze#Primary_agents
    Last edited by mobile; 04-06-2012 at 12:21 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is an amazing thread!
    Growlist
    IN HOC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have tried using a glass door peltier wine cooler cabinet as a mini-terrarium, but am having trouble maintaining a reasonable humidity, even when using a fogger inside. I think the problem is that the combination of the fan and the cold surface of the peltier heatsink causes any moisture in the air to condense. I would be interested to know if the above recirculation cooler method has the same issue.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried peltier units as well, to no avail. I assume this would be a gentler method of cooling and this condensation would be as drastic.
    Growlist
    IN HOC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobile View Post
    I have tried using a glass door peltier wine cooler cabinet as a mini-terrarium, but am having trouble maintaining a reasonable humidity, even when using a fogger inside. I think the problem is that the combination of the fan and the cold surface of the peltier heatsink causes any moisture in the air to condense. I would be interested to know if the above recirculation cooler method has the same issue.
    I had the issue you are talking about with my previous setup with a modified AC (see the link in my sig). The problem was that the AC rad would get to below freezing temperatures and all the humidity would condense on it and freeze. One day I came home and the rad was a huge block of ice. I put a plastic covering around the rad and it was much better.

I think with the new setup using the water cooler and having the rad not getting as cold will solve the lowering in humidity issue. However I do expect it to drop a little, but I have a fogger and the tank is usually filled with a bit of water on the bottom which adds to the humidity. Note that I insulated all the tubing and the only thing in the tank that can get condensation on it is the rad. Also the computer rad i have is about half the size of the AC rad.

I got some plexiglass today so I'll be finishing off my tank mod once i borrow a dremel from my dad's place, and then installing the cooling system. I'll be able to give some accurate result once I get it all finished up.

PS. I'm sure you can something like this with a peltier device. Just get a cooler and fill it with water, then seal it and somehow add the peltier into the mix so that it cools the cooler. Then add some circulation rad dillo to it and you got the same setup as me.
    cheers,
    Rob

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can get a good sized new transmition cooler from Auto zone for 30 bucks. Nothing but a radiator. Larger than the one shown here in this setup.

Btw. I love the idea!!!

---------- Post added at 09:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 PM ----------

Peltiers are terribly inefficient though.

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 PM ----------

You should be able to counter the humidity pulling affect of cooling by using a fogger.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobile View Post
    Glycerol can be used as an alternative to glycol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antifreeze#Primary_agents
    How do you go about using this stuff? Do you mix it with water or do you have to use it in its pure form? I think you can get this stuff at the grocery. supposedly it contains a lot of salts, but I guess that's better than glycol.
    cheers,
    Rob

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast