Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Another cooling system

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why dont you use engine antifreeze like the computer people do?
    You mix that 50/50.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the cheapest and easiest by far would be windshield wiper liquid. As long as there is no surfactant in it. But even if there is surfactant, formation of foam could be countered adding a bit of alcohol (I use methanol in the lab to prevent this) to the mix. Not enough to ignite but enough to work.

In addition if your system is closed and there is no air in it surfactant in solution of windshield viper liquid won't make any difference. It wont foam anyway if the pump and tubing are submerged deep enough.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But car antifreeze would be far better at romoving the heat from the enclosure than windsheild wiper fluid.

There are echofriendly versions if that is the issue.
    JB

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_OrchidGuy View Post
    But car antifreeze would be far better at romoving the heat from the enclosure than windsheild wiper fluid.

There are echofriendly versions if that is the issue.
    As I have mentioned before the wiper fluid I was suggesting is the winter mix type (the one that has -20F on it, the summer version is just diluted crap with soap in it) and is technically the same as engine coolant/anti-freeze

Windshield wiper fluid = 1:1 water:alcohol (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windshi...luid#Varieties)
    Antifreeze/Engine Coolant = most common 1:1 water:alcohol (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antifre...ion_Inhibitors)

Anti-freeze as engine coolant will range in the concentration of components used with increased % alcohol when the temperatures are extremely cold. Now, since the reasons alcohol is added to the mixture is to keep the coolant liquid, prevent the damage to the cooling system parts due to expansion of volume during liquid->solid phase transition and to inhibit water's corrosive properties, you'd want to lower the percentage of alcohol in solution to increase the coolant's heat capacity and thus increasing system's cooling efficiency (http://homepage.usask.ca/~llr130/phy...ntiFreeze.html the more alcohol the lower the heat capacity of solution).

Thus the windshield wiper fluid is still the cheapest and best choice, and if high efficiency is desired one might want to dilute it with water a bit too this will also make it a bit ecofriendlier as well.
    Last edited by gill_za; 04-07-2012 at 01:12 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I presume that the engine coolant used in the US is ethylene glycol, is that correct?

You might want to read this:

http://www.aapcc.org/archive/Finaliz...0guideline.pdf
    Last edited by mobile; 04-07-2012 at 01:22 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am well aware it is poisonous. In a closed system you shouldn't be exposed. Like a vehicles coolant system.

---------- Post added at 10:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 AM ----------

Hence the reason I said there were the echofriendly versions too that are non poisonous.
    JB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all ---- I'm back from the dead... again!

Second of all --- funny how every time I re-emerge from my cave I see yet another crazy innovative thread about terrarium cooling and/or humidity control. Fantastic stuff.

I'm about to downsize my setup... it's a little crazy, and I've been slowly editing my collection down to a few of my favorite plants, and they should fit in a 24" x 18" x 18" terrarium at this point.

Bonus for me: easier to cool and humidify an enclosed terrarium
    Bonus for y'all: a rather large (though modestly curated) plant giveaway is on the horizon!

-------My actual question!---------
    I can't find any water coolers near me, and they are a bit large for my tastes. We've talked about using Peltier devices and other random thermoelectric coolers to do the job. General consensus is that they don't work well enough. BUT, check this thing out:
    http://www.amazon.com/Thermo-Electro...3984276&sr=1-1

It's a thermoelectric cooler, but more importantly, it's nice and compact. Given that robthered' (and others') design for a cooling system involves a relatively small amount of cooling fluid in a closed system, my hypothesis is that the thermoelectric cooler will be plenty to keep the liquid chilly enough to control temperatures in a terrarium.

Anyone care to enlighten me (read: debunk my hypothesis)? If you all think this will work, I'm prepared to pull the trigger on this new setup ASAP!
    Last edited by TheFury; 04-09-2012 at 09:48 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a bit worried about all the negative reviews. In addition most OK reviews say that this thing does not cool water down enough. The manual apparently says it would take an hour to re-cool if you only do 1-2 8oz cups.
    So it is most likely that you wont reach cold enough temps with this peltier based cooler when you constantly circulate water through a radiator. I saw this unit when I was doing my preliminary search and passed it for that same reason.

Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast