Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Another cooling system

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wowza - good catch... 8oz every hour or two before needing a re-cool. So with a pump moving 90 gph through this contraption, it'd probably exceed that capacity by far, no?

I'm interested in two questions:
    1) How cold does the water need to be going into the radiator to produce a noticeable temperature drop?
    2) Upon exiting the radiator, how much warmer is the water?

If only a little bit of heat is transferred into the fluid upon every pass through the radiator and it doesn't leave a helluvalot warmer than it entered, then this might still work, since this is a closed system. In normal use, this thing would have a reservoir or room-temperature water constantly refilling it after the cold water is depleted; in this application only a small bit of cool water would be drawn and replaced by slightly less cool water... though I agree, the reviews are somewhat off-putting...
    Last edited by TheFury; 04-09-2012 at 10:49 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Current peltier technology is a dead end for our application with anything more than a small, single specimen plant type setup...

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...hlight=peltier

My dream system would be a nice aquarium chiller with an automotive heater core (w/fan).
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 04-09-2012 at 11:00 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFury View Post
    Wowza - good catch... 8oz every hour or two before needing a re-cool. So with a pump moving 90 gph through this contraption, it'd probably exceed that capacity by far, no?

I'm interested in two questions:
    1) How cold does the water need to be going into the radiator to produce a noticeable temperature drop?
    2) Upon exiting the radiator, how much warmer is the water?

If only a little bit of heat is transferred into the fluid upon every pass through the radiator and it doesn't leave a helluvalot warmer than it entered, then this might still work, since this is a closed system. In normal use, this thing would have a reservoir or room-temperature water constantly refilling it after the cold water is depleted; in this application only a small bit of cool water would be drawn and replaced by slightly less cool water... though I agree, the reviews are somewhat off-putting...
    My guess that to answer both question youd need to take into account size of radiator, flow of air through it, temperature of air in the terrarium, amount of water passing through the radiator and volume of the terrarium. So basically you'd have to play with it and see what works best

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    temperature differential, heat exchanger efficiency, is the liquid moving through the core in a laminar or turbulent flow pattern, etc etc etc....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha!! OK OK, uncle!! I knew my question was more complicated than it sounded.

I just found this guy: http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/app/2948100396.html

Sweet. If it's still available I might spring for it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFury View Post
    Ha!! OK OK, uncle!! I knew my question was more complicated than it sounded.

I just found this guy: http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/app/2948100396.html

Sweet. If it's still available I might spring for it...
    Looks good man, should be enough to cool your 24x18 terrarium, anything larger though and I think you'll need one of the larger models. Make sure you insulate the circulation tubes.

FYI I'm currently in the progress of fusing two 4 foot aquariums together. Just cutting up the plexi, then i gotta silicone the stuff together. So once that's done I'll have my cooling system installed and will post some of the stats/results.
    cheers,
    Rob
    My CP Page (WIP) See my webpage for my Grow List
    Modified AC for Highland Terrarium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should be enough, methinks - the internet tells me that this thing can cool water down to 42F / 5.5C. Seems to be made of the same guts as the taller units. I'll let you know how it goes, but I think I might have scored a gem!

Looking forward to hearing about that 8-foot "Optimus Prime" terrarium!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RE: Peltier coolers.

I have a 65W peltier wine cooler, converted into a terrarium. Inside is an 18W PL-L flourescent lamp, with no other heat sources. The lamps ballast is external. The cooler is set to 13C (55.4F). When the lamp is on, over the length of the day, which is 13 hours, the temperature in the cooler rises to ~22-25C (71.6-77F). The peltier and fans run constantly the whole day whilst trying to achieve the set temperature and only go off at night after the lamp is off and the temperature set point is reached. Basically, the 65W peltier cannot fully dissipate the 18W load of the lamp. This is not to say that the peltier wine cooler is of poor quality, as it can easily reach the set temperature without any additional internal load, thus it makes an excellent wine cooler, but it demonstrates the efficiency of peliter coolers. For my next terrarium setup I will be looking into using a traditional compressor refrigerator.

Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast