Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Another cooling system

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFury View Post
    Should be enough, methinks - the internet tells me that this thing can cool water down to 42F / 5.5C. Seems to be made of the same guts as the taller units. I'll let you know how it goes, but I think I might have scored a gem!

Looking forward to hearing about that 8-foot "Optimus Prime" terrarium!
    Sounds promising definitely let us know how it fairs.

Optimus is in the works . Plexi is cut and silicone is next.

I'm taking one tank and flipping it over on top of the other one. Also removing the front glass and putting sliding doors. It'll be 48x43x16; should be big enough for a while. Here's a pic so you get the idea.

Tank one (bottom)

Tank two (top)
    cheers,
    Rob
    My CP Page (WIP) See my webpage for my Grow List
    Modified AC for Highland Terrarium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, 43" tall! Are you planning years ahead for when your Neps get up to 4' tall, or will you be building some sort of tiered shelving in there to hold multiple levels of plants?

This thing is going to be nuts... looking forward to seeing how it turns out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might need to try something like this for my H. minor as temps go up for the summer.
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...29#post1089429

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice setup! As for the water and antifreeze... I don't think that salt is a good idea unless the system can withstand salty water. Salt is corrosive on metal parts and so proper glycol or windshield washer liquid without soap is a good option. And for glycol, propylene glycol should be "safest" as it's not that harmful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pmatil View Post
    Nice setup! As for the water and antifreeze... I don't think that salt is a good idea unless the system can withstand salty water. Salt is corrosive on metal parts and so proper glycol or windshield washer liquid without soap is a good option. And for glycol, propylene glycol should be "safest" as it's not that harmful.
    Sweet thanks for the tips . I'll try and find some propylene gycol
    cheers,
    Rob

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    robthered,

Isn't it interesting how much innovation can something like "growing CP plants" inspire?! I bow to you Kind Sir. One of the best topics I've seen on here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gill_za View Post
    robthered,

Isn't it interesting how much innovation can something like "growing CP plants" inspire?! I bow to you Kind Sir. One of the best topics I've seen on here.

Thanks for the kudos Gil_za

I'm glad i can help other people grow plants that normally wouldn't be able to be grown in their conditions.

And ya, it is really interesting how much innovation can come from a hobby like this lol.

I'm still putting my tank together. HAd a little setback; the silicon doesnt stick to the freaking plexi so I got some Amazing Goop. The stuff is supposed to bond to almost anything, so hopefully it works with plexi. I should have it done this weekend with the cooling system installed as well. I'm going to use pure distilled water for now. If i need to lower the temps below 0c then I'll start adding antifreeze to the mix, but after reading all the posts about the different antifreezes that they use (some being poisonous, some not), I want to make sure I get the right one (non-toxic) if i need it. I gotta get it all done soon, cause the temperatures here are starting to rise to almost 20c (68f).

Sorry about all the delays in getting this done and getting the info out to you all; I got a promotion at work and work is really picking up. Also I'm going down to the states soon for a business trip, so I'm also preparing for that as well. So much to do, so little time...
    cheers,
    Rob

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    robthered,

try lightly scratching plexiglass along the edge where you are gluing it with exacto knife or something else sharp repeatedly and see if it sticks better with silicone afterwards. It worked for me! I guess it provided something for the glue to "grip" on the otherwise smooth surface.
    Last edited by gill_za; 04-19-2012 at 04:26 PM.

Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast