Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Another cooling system

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gill_za View Post
    robthered,

try lightly scratching plexiglass along the edge where you are gluing it with exacto knife or something else sharp repeatedly and see if it sticks better with silicone afterwards. It worked for me! I guess it provided something for the glue to "grip" on the otherwise smooth surface.
    ya I did that this time. I used some sandpaper and roughed up the edges real good . I'll let you know how it bonds.
    cheers,
    Rob
    My CP Page (WIP) See my webpage for my Grow List
    Modified AC for Highland Terrarium

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    robthered,

Pardon me if this is totally dumb question and perhaps I'll invalidate the question right away after I get my hands on the cooler, but what if you preserve the dispensers? At-least keep the cold water one intact (and perhaps disable the hot water so it will not get activated by accident, although it has a safeguard) and just put the pump connected to the radiator with return line+copper tube (like TheFury did) into the cavity. This will simplify the process for those not willing to mess with plumbing too much, and the cooler essentially remains intact. Added benefit is the ability to dump the cooling liquid (whatever one ends up using) with ease. Unless I'm missing something.

P.S. Is the heating element always on, or only turns on when the hot water dispenser is pressed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey gil_za

The cooler that i have doesnt have a heating element in it. One tap is cold water, and the other is room temp water. Disabling the heating element on a cooler that has one shouldnt be that hard though, it should be all labeled on the circuit diagram.

If I understand what you're saying, you want to leave one tap on the cooler so that you can drain the liquid when needed correct? How will you cycle the water back into the cooling resivoir? Through the top of the cooler? Maybe draw us a picture in MS paint so we can get an idea of what you mean.

PS. I like the draining idea. But I also like how my cooler looks like a Dalek from Dr.who. :P
    cheers,
    Rob
    My CP Page (WIP) See my webpage for my Grow List
    Modified AC for Highland Terrarium

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robthered View Post
    If I understand what you're saying, you want to leave one tap on the cooler so that you can drain the liquid when needed correct? How will you cycle the water back into the cooling resivoir? Through the top of the cooler? Maybe draw us a picture in MS paint so we can get an idea of what you mean.

PS. I like the draining idea. But I also like how my cooler looks like a Dalek from Dr.who. :P
    Yeah exactly the water returns throught the top.

Im attaching a sketch. Sorry it looks pretty bad because. 8 just did it on my phone, while waiting for a guy to show up who is supposed to sell me a water cooler.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Gill - nice diagram LOL! I considered setting mine up that way, but I did kinda like Rob's design. It just feels cleaner this way.

Two things -

1) Most recent cooler units have switches in the back to enable/disable heating and cooling. So I leave my cooling switch on and my heating switch off. Simple!

2) I notice there's a drainage hole at the very top of the reservoir. When my pump is running, it seems like the pressure of the pump is too great; there's a pretty strong jet of water that shoots out of the hole. I suppose there's a connection to the tap lines through which excess water can overflow. I wonder if I tried your method there whether more water would be able to flow to the rad thus cooling more efficiently? Hmm, worth a shot....

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFury View Post
    Hey Gill - nice diagram LOL! I considered setting mine up that way, but I did kinda like Rob's design. It just feels cleaner this way.

Two things -

1) Most recent cooler units have switches in the back to enable/disable heating and cooling. So I leave my cooling switch on and my heating switch off. Simple!

2) I notice there's a drainage hole at the very top of the reservoir. When my pump is running, it seems like the pressure of the pump is too great; there's a pretty strong jet of water that shoots out of the hole. I suppose there's a connection to the tap lines through which excess water can overflow. I wonder if I tried your method there whether more water would be able to flow to the rad thus cooling more efficiently? Hmm, worth a shot....
    Regarding the flow: Does the regulator on your pump not reduce the flow sufficiently? Although I must admit that such regulator on my cheap 90gph pump does not do anything...

Edit: the cooler that I got is dead. Compressor works, but looks like most of the coolant is out
    Last edited by gill_za; 04-21-2012 at 03:19 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, I am very interested in this idea and was wondering if it would be an efficient way to cool down my 10 gallon terrarium to about 50s (or very low 60s at least) at night. Would getting a larger radiator be more effective at cooling or does that not matter? What is the most important part in the cooling process? Pretty much the cooler the better for me. Thanks

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I can cool my terrarium to 62 with just one fan and humidifier line I'm sure this kind of setup would be more than enough

Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast