Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Another cooling system

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the help. It is a lot less confusing now. I was hoping to use the fridge for a UHL setup.. Maybe stick them in there at night. Or maybe I could drill a large hole and use a fan to move the refrigerated air into the terrarium?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just picked up the water cooler and it looks like it works, including the fridge. When I get a chance I will look at its innards.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I got the cooler today, it seems to work well.. the water that comes out is very cold.

I took the top off and im not sure what to do any tips?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh Heli - one thing I forgot to mention. That round plastic thing at the bottom of your reservoir. Take it out. It's some sort of spacer that matters one way or another when you've got a big 5 gallon jug sticking out the top of this thing... but for our application it's just a waste of space. If your unit is anything like mine it should lift right out with a bit of fussing.

@rob - I asked you a question about the thermostat in my own terrarium thread, but since this thread deals specifically with the cooling mechanism you can answer it in here if you prefer. Basically... how'd ya do it? What kind of temperature control unit did you buy and how hard was it to open this cooler up and bypass the stock thermostat?

Also rob - you've got a pair of 120mm fans each with 130+ CFM of power, running on reduced voltage. Your tank is 4 x 4 x something (read: huge).

I've got a pair of 80mm fans, each with 34 CFM, wired in parallel and running on full voltage. It's a nice little breeze, but if I stick my hand on the other side of my 2' x 2' x 18" terrarium I can hardly feel it. Do you think upping fan power would help achieve better heat transfer over the rad?

Finally - and this sounds like a dumb question, but I gotta know... do you have your fans configured to blow air through the rad, or to suck air through it? I can't decide whether or not this makes a difference...

Sorry for all the questions LOL. This was an awesome idea, thanks for the inspiration.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im having trouble removing it. It doesnt seem to want to come out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Twist and jiggle! You may have to take a pair of pliers to it and grasp that protrusion in the center.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, so I found a Rad with 3/8" ID barbs. I need to getting tubing with an inner diameter of 3/8" as well right? Also, how do you cut the tubing? Last question, and this is a dumb one How do I power the computer fan?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) The barbs are 3/8" size, meaning their *OD* is 3/8"; they fit a 3/8" ID tube.
    2) PVC tubing is easy to cut with a pair of scissors. Just make sure you cut straight across and not diagonally
    3) Do you have a 12V DC computer fan? The answer is probably yes. Head on over to radioshack and get yourself a 12V DC wall wart. Make sure you get one that can handle the current draw of a fan... usually 200mA. To be safe I just get 1,000 mA wall warts. This way I can run multiple fans in parallel without worrying about overloading the power supply. Cut off the connector of the PC fan and the connector of the wall wart. Ignore the yellow wire on the PC fan (if there is one, it's for speed control) and only use the red and black wires. Use solder, electrical tape, or some wire caps to join the red and black wires to the wires on the wall wart. It doesn't matter which color goes to which wire. If you hook it up backwards, the fan spins backwards!

There are plenty of step-by-step guides with pics on this forum and elsewhere to teach you how to wire the fan. Read up and get crackin'!

Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast