What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some bog stuffs

Crissytal

What is and what should never be
Hey everyone. I finally got a chance to take some more pictures today. I had started a thread in the Sarr section, but decided to make a new one for these in this section.

I'll update this one as my bogs continue to wake up.

Going to start off with some more Sarr flower pictures taken this evening with a Yashica 50mm f1.4 lens on my Canon T1i. ISO was 200 on all pics. F-stop varies.

sarrflower.jpg

redsarrflower.jpg

IMG_2437.jpg

IMG_2401.jpg

anotherred.jpg

D. filiformis "Tracyii"
IMG_2451.jpg

Full shot of the three bogs. I'll be adding a fourth soon.
IMG_2392.jpg

This may be some sort of bog companion plant. It's some sort of violet. It followed me from eastern NC. It only shows up in the bogs. There are some other wild violets on the property, but they only grow in the woodline and are much larger. The color is also a lot different.
IMG_2447.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Crystal

Last edited:
wow you have a great mini bog! :-O

That is a Lance Leaved Bog Violet, Viola lanceolata and I rip hundreds of them out of my bogs every year. Pretty but, a bit too aggressive.

Lovely flowers! Nice bogs, too!

Lovely bog! Flowers to die for, thank you for sharing

Lovely pics crissy, that Yashica is sweet!

Of course it helps to have nice plants and a good eye ;)

Aw, so beautiful. Very nice bog. Love how it's in flower now.

Thanks everyone for the kind words!! I'm finally starting to figure photography out a little.

Cthulhu138, thanks for the ID on the violets. I suppose I can't offer you any? :-))

'Like'

wow, i love those sarr flowers, you have an awesome set up. How long have your bogs been established?

Nice bog! How do you keep the water level up? I would think that it soaks through the wood.

Thanks :). My bogs haven't really had much attention over the past year. I need to divide some Sarrs and get some D. filiformis varieties moved around. I also have Rhexia virginica trying to take over. As a side note, the bogs are only as deep as what you see. To keep it easy, I did not dig the soil out before building the bogs.

They've been established for about two years. They are all lined with thick black plastic to hold water. There are no drainage holes. I haven't had any problems with flooding, once the water goes above the plastic lining, it just seeps out. When I get ready to do the fourth bog, I plan on doing a step by step with photos on how it is built. That's the plan anyway.

a bogging we shall go. Just boggles the mind. I don't think it would work for me. Earthworms and a grass that as rhizomes that will puncture and cause leaks. .... I have needed to do above ground bog works....

Back