1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    now the steps you posted look a lot easier. To work now I guess

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @gill_za - earlier you had asked about the temps of the coolant at idle and under load. I just went out and got a thermometer.

Here's the deal: at idle, the fluid is a chilly 42F. After only 10 minutes of work, however, the fluid is up to 55 degrees.

If this thing can't keep up with the added load this summer I'm not gonna be in a good spot. Gonna bypass the stock thermostat to see if I can get this stuff a little colder....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine seems to periodically turn off which I assume is when the water is at the desired temp, what your saying is make it so it wont turn off and keep cooling it further?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFury View Post
    @gill_za - earlier you had asked about the temps of the coolant at idle and under load. I just went out and got a thermometer.

Here's the deal: at idle, the fluid is a chilly 42F. After only 10 minutes of work, however, the fluid is up to 55 degrees.

If this thing can't keep up with the added load this summer I'm not gonna be in a good spot. Gonna bypass the stock thermostat to see if I can get this stuff a little colder....
    Interesting. Is the temperature in the terrarium stable after 10 minutes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, the temperature continues to fall. It goes down by a degree of so every 10 minutes.

My temperature drop just kicked in about 45 minutes ago. At this point, temps have fallen from 65 degrees this afternoon to 59 and will likely settle at 54. The fluid itself is reading about 53 degrees.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFury View Post
    @rob - actually yeah, never thought of that. That's the part of your step-by-step instructions that made my head spin. Thanks for pointing that out! How would you go about doing that?
    It'll really depend on what type of controller your cooler uses.

Mine used this type:

There is a little switch on it, you can see it and when you push on it, the compressor turns on (I put a pic of it on my waklthrough, but I can get a better shot if you like with some more detail). So what I did was really simple. I pushed the switch up which turns the compressor on, and then I jammed a screw into the gap to hold the switch in that position.

Then I bought one of these:

It's a Johnson Controls Fridge Thermostat. Essentially you plug the plug from your cooler right into this baby, then place the probe into the water, set the dial on the controller to the temp you want and you're done.

I'll try and get some more pics of the bypass I did on the thermostat tonight.
    cheers,
    Rob
    My CP Page (WIP) See my webpage for my Grow List
    Modified AC for Highland Terrarium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah the screw in the thermostat! I remember now. Makes sense.

So riddle me this - do you think it's worth it to invest another $50 in a thermostat to allow the coolant to get a few degrees cooler when the system reaches equilibrium with my terrarium within a matter of minutes anyway? I suppose there's no way to know unless I try, but I suspect the best thing to do here would be to try and increase the *rate* at which heat can be wicked away from my terrarium; not lowering the minimum temperature the system can achieve after several hours of idling...

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast