Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Terrarium Setup & Pics

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea there are some pretty informative threads on those weed forums.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My setups current and old take plenty of inspiration from other growers... and much of it from growers of slightly more illicit plants!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK guys. I did it. I listened to the advice of numerous experienced members here. I weighed the opinions of folks who have more knowledge in the area than I do. I even heard the angel on my shoulder telling me I was being a moron. But... against my better judgment, I ignored everyone.

I bought a Peltier device.

I found this 60W pre-fab cooling engine on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261014537816...#ht_500wt_1156
    And this power supply on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o01_s01_i00

The availability of a pre-fabricated Peltier device with heatsinks & everything already attached was a big kicker, especially for the asking price.

Anyway - I did this for three reasons:
    1. The whole setup cost less than $100, which was my "it's not worth it" price point.
    2. We've all seen that a Peltier unit is insufficient when attempting to cool a terrarium down as a standalone unit. However, I'm only trying to get another 5-8 degrees of cooling power out of this system.
    3. It's becoming clear that my water cooling solution will be inadequate once the summer hits, and I need to improvise.

Now - the disclaimer here is that I know there's a good chance I'm burning money. I'm prepared for that risk; however this works out, I'll be posting my findings here for folks to learn from. I'm also throwing some insulation around my terrarium to hold cold temperatures more effectively, to make sure the Peltier's capacity isn't wasted. I would *not* attempt to use a Peltier as the sole cooling device for a HL setup. Nor would I consider this added cooling necessary if I had air conditioning in my apartment, as my water cooler can easily bring temps from the 70s down into the 60s. Bringing temps from the 80s down to the 70s (and 60s or lower at night) is a different matter.

I'm also trying a different rad/fan combo. Depending on which works better, I'll be getting rid of one of my rads on eBay (or, if you want it, PM me). I picked up a 120mm rad with higher fins-per-inch density than my current rad (= better heat transfer). I also got a higher CFM fan: as I mentioned in a previous post, my current setup is moving ~60CFM around in my terrarium, and the air remains stagnant on the opposite side of my terrarium from the fan. Finally, a 120mm rad provides more surface area per cubic foot of air moved through it than an 80mm rad with two fans. My hypothesis here is that I'll be able to get more out of my cooler if I maximize this ratio.

I'll make sure to test both improvements (peltier and new rad) independently and will let y'all know what I learn!

CP cultivation is proving to be the perfect hobby. It teaches you something new every day, it introduces you to new people, it takes up lots of your free time, and it's a great sinkhole for all your extra cash

Wish me luck....
    Last edited by TheFury; 05-03-2012 at 11:38 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be interested in that RAD but im sure someone already pmed you . Anyway, good luck with the peltier, I would be very interested in seeing how it works out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Heli I'll PM you if it's available.

A few updates: I got some new plants, installed some insulation, and added a Peltier cooler!

This insulation is hardcore

Also put some mylar along the inside and removed the cheesy styrofoam backdrop. Now more room for my plants to stretch out, AND less light loss!

Peltier stickin' off the top. Sealed as many of the gaps as I could with insulation

Too early to make any solid calls, but with room temps at 77F and 96W of T5HO lights running with no other ventilation and the water cooler off, my terrarium (~45 gal) was at 74F after 15-20 mins of turning the peltier on. Big whoop. But I'm interested to see what happens tonight without the lights running and the additional help of the water cooler. That's when I'll be able to decide whether it's "barely worth it" or a complete waste of money.

That aside---new arrivals!!

Nice sized N. raff on my windowsill. To the bottom right there's a cute little N. ventricosa x fusca. Thanks jrj88!

N. burbidgeae x edwardsiana

N. ventricosa x hamata
    Last edited by TheFury; 05-06-2012 at 07:43 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys.... success!!!!

Last night, with room temps of 75 degrees, my terrarium got down to 55 degrees within a few hours of the cooling equipment kicking on. It even got cool enough that the hygrotherm turned off and began cycling to maintain the 55 degree temperature. Before, with room temps above 70, my rig would stay at 60-61F and the cooling equipment would run all night. The insulation and the added Peltier device really help! Like I said, I only need around 5-8 degrees of extra cooling, and that's what I got!

Max / Min temperatures for yesterday were 77F and 54F. If things stay in that general range, I think my HLers and Helis are going to be happy campers

It's still too early to really tell whether this Peltier was worth it. Gonna have to do a few more nights of messing around, running one cooling device or the other and making note of room temps... but my early conclusion is that it provides *exactly* what I need to give my water cooler an extra kick.

I'd imagine to cool a terrarium of my size using only Peltiers you'd need 3-4 of them, and as far as terrariums go, mine is still pretty small. At that point it's not a whole lot more expensive to spring for a pair of water coolers, or even an aquarium chiller. Not to mention the fact that the fans you need to sink heat & cold away from the Peltier add a ton of noise to your setup. I can deal with one unit; four might be pretty annoying.
    Last edited by TheFury; 05-06-2012 at 07:53 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fury, sweet looking system but that fan wont live long with the condensation getting on it..... trust me, been there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Av! I took a lot of inspiration from your thread, particularly with regard to the Bernoulli principle... LOL I spent ages positioning my humidifier hose just right so that the mist dispersed into the fan's wash perfectly!

Which fan are you worried about burning out? The one on the Peltier? The two fans on my rad tend to accumulate condensation on their grilles but I never see any water make its way into the casing where it could potentially damage the motor. But yes, the one on the Peltier... the thought definitely crossed my mind, but then I figured small DC fans like that are cheap and it's easy to replace them. If it fails and I don't notice right away, my system will still be able to cool itself using only the water cooler; I've got some redundancy there. But, any suggestions on how to orient the Peltier in such a way that the condensation runs off? Rather not have to swap fans out every few months if I can avoid it!
    Last edited by TheFury; 05-06-2012 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Words are difficult

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast