Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Terrarium Setup & Pics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, cut the connector off of the wall wart, cut the connector off the fan, strip all wires, twist 'em together, secure with a cap, good to go.

You could use that adapter too but seems like overkill. Plus the Radioshack wall wart gives you more choices in voltage - that flexibility will be good if you want to fine-tune your air flow. Don't be afraid of a bit of splicing... it's super easy!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, the radioshack one would cost a lot more though because it is 5 dollars more plus I would have to get separate shipping.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then get a different one on Amazon if you're ordering from them:

http://www.amazon.com/VCT-VX-79NP-Mu...6423918&sr=8-1

As long as it gives you the voltage(s) you *want* and at least the current capacity that you *need*, it'll work.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh so that one is pretty much the same thing as the radioshack one. I will get that one, thanks!

---------- Post added at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:56 PM ----------

Woot! I just ordered the fan, RAD, pump, and converter, now I just need to get the other little things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where did you get the egg crate? o.O

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Garroch, I ordered the pump, fan, RAD, and ac/dc converter. Do you think our local Lowes or Home Depot has everything else that I need?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heli, TheFury,

Just wanted to mention that it is not neccessary to cut the connectors on the fans. I used sparkler sticks to make connectors instead. It is not the most elegant way but it works. And this way you can reuse the fans. And yes learning to solder will be a big help in many of your future undertakings

Quote Originally Posted by Halt View Post
    Where did you get the egg crate? o.O
    Lowes sells egg-crate light reflector. Homedepot does too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @gill - yeah, you could certainly use that approach too. I used to have all sorts of spare PC components lying around (I was a bit of a modder back in my high school days), but now I try to make do with whatever I have... which presently is a few rolls of electrical tape and a soldering iron. Next time I revamp my electronics I'll probably go your route - tired of cutting off perfectly good connectors to expose the wires underneath!

@Heli - what else do you need? Tubing? Insulation? Hose clamps? Egg crate? Yeah, you could probably make a trip to the Lowes / HD for most of that stuff. I don't have a car and the walk there and back gets difficult when you're lugging heavy or unwieldy construction supplies, so whenever I go there it's usually for the small stuff. I find their selection is usually pretty limited (as far as big-box hardware stores go, the particular Lowes and HD near us have a really crappy selection), and their staff has *no* idea what they're talking about. I get most of my supplies on mcmaster.com. Amazing selection (you gotta know what you're looking for though), very informative website, and you get next-day delivery at standard ground rates.

@Halt - I got my eggcrate online at mcmaster.com. Paid more than I should have for it, but as mentioned earlier, my local Lowes and HD are lousy as all get-out and don't have eggcrate or foam insulation panels or any of the normal stuff you might expect to find there.