Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Terrarium Setup & Pics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks amazing! Much better than my terrarium setup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking good Fury

Keep us posted on the nighttime temp drops you can get. I havent had to use my setup yet as it's still pretty chill here in canada (10c-15c daytime, 0c-5c night).

I'm still putting my dual 4 foot aquarium aka optimus together. Should be all said and dont this weekend if my plan sticks and I'll have the cooling setup too, just gotta fill er up.

What type of coolant did you go for? Did you end up using the washerfluid?
    cheers,
    Rob
    My CP Page (WIP) See my webpage for my Grow List
    Modified AC for Highland Terrarium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks amazing good work!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice setup! If I ever get my cooling system started I'll use an aquarium chiller. Also, your terrarium's background is great, I currently only have mirrors all around :/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again y'all!

@robthered: I'll definitely keep you posted on temperature drops. I just reset my digital thermo/hygro because the recorded low was 55 degrees... not sure whether that was from last night or some random evening over the past year I've had it! I will say that I was slightly disappointed to find that an hour after the lights had gone off, the temperature was only down to 65 degrees. But who knows, maybe it got down farther overnight. I ended up using cold-weather windshield wiper fluid... I made sure it didn't bubble when I shook it first, though! Although I'm not sure if the antifreeze is even necessary. Pretty sure this cooler can't chill water down to freezing!

@pmatil, thanks! Yeah, that's the background that came with the terrarium. It's just a cheap piece of styrofoam. I debated chucking it out because it does take up space that could otherwise be used for plants... but for now I kinda like the look.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the coming warm temperatures here in Brooklyn it's gonna get harder and harder to get the temps into the 50s and 60s. Right now I am using my Ac to cool my setup since we now have days of 90 degrees. You could try investing in one of those swamp coolers but I don't know how effective they would be in the humid Brooklyn summer. BTW, that's a nice Heli you have, what type is it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, we'll see about that. Not to say I'm worried -- worst case, I'll have to stick to intermediate plants (of which most of my Neps are anyways) and not HL Neps. I'm OK with that; most of my favorite Neps don't require true HL conditions, just moderate daytime temps and a decent nighttime temperature drop. As long as I can keep temps below 83 degrees or so on the hottest summer days (when temps in my room exceed 90) I'll be a happy camper; with ambient temps in the high 70s and low 80s my cooler seems to have no trouble keeping temps inside the terrarium near or below 70.

I actually bought a swamp cooler and returned it promptly about a year ago. It's just too humid in the northeast for those things to work. When I had one, it cooled the room down by about three degrees until the air in the room became saturated with moisture, then the cooling effect stopped and the temps rose again... only this time, it was really uncomfortable in the room with all that heat and moisture! It only really works when there's plenty of capacity in the air to continue to evaporate liquid water (which is what causes the temperature drop).

And that's a H. heterodoxa x minor. I got it as an unrooted division and it took hold pretty readily, though the pitchers are short and there are no nectar spoons. Hopefully the temps and humidity in my new terrarium will fix that lickety split.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool, i love to see all the cool inovations come together

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast