Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Terrarium Setup & Pics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFury View Post
    Well, thanks you two! I'll see if I can make some room in the tank for this rad. What sort of position in the tank would you recommend? Blowing along the top? How far away from all the glass edges should the rad be? Just an inch or two?

Not too worried about humidity - it has no trouble staying up near 90%; if my humidifier has to work a bit harder to keep the RH there, it shouldn't be an issue. Though the rad doesn't get THAT cold... condensation might not even be that extreme. I'll keep everyone posted!
    I`d place it in one of the corners, at a 45 degree angle so that the air is blowing downwards. This way if you do get condensation on the rad, it wont drip into the fans. Also I wouldn't worry about the fans being in high RH, as I`ve been using the same fans for about 3-4 years now and theyhaven't had any problems at all.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFury View Post
    If summer peaks and the cooler proves inadequate I'm just going to pick up an aquarium chiller. There are some decent small-tank models that run $300 or so and don't seem to be too power-hungry compared to their larger brethren. It's a big chunk of change, but I've come too far with this setup to have it not work at this point!!
    If you want to get more cooling, and you dont wanna dish out 300-500 bucks for an aquarium chiller you can make your own using an AC and a Cooler. You can get an AC cheap off kijiji or craigslist. I got mine for 20 bucks.

Pop open the front of the AC and bend out the front AC rad in the front (like in the setup i did last summer. see my sig). Remove the evap fan (looks like a hamster wheel). Place the front AC rad into a cooler. Fill the cooler with coolant. Put a pump in the cooler and run tubes to the computer rad that is placed in your tank. The AC rad will get the coolant down to some really crazy temperatures (-30c). BTW a 6K BTU AC uses pretty much the same amount of energy as an aquarium chiller; only difference is that you`ll probably save money in your energy bill if you use the AC setup rather than the chiller one. I know someone that uses a chiller and they say it runs 24/7 which will kill you on your electric bill. At least with the AC setup, it wouldn't have to run as often as it has an insulated reservoir.

Here's how you can make one
    cheers,
    Rob
    My CP Page (WIP) See my webpage for my Grow List
    Modified AC for Highland Terrarium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm - @rob, unfortunately the terms of my lease limit me to one 6,000 BTU window unit because of crappy wiring in my apartment. So perhaps even an aquarium chiller is out of the question; I've already got one AC unit keeping my bedroom cool. So I'll cross my fingers and hope! But thanks for sharing that link - that's a really cool idea.

@mass - LOL, thanks for the kind words, but as they say, necessity is the mother of invention. Ambient conditions in my apartment are lousy, so I gotta build pretty intense setups to keep my plants alive. And anyways, I'll stay humble as a child until my plants start looking like yours!!!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The drop in humidity from the air conditioner is an interesting topic if you think about it. Its not the cooling of the air that is causing the drop, far from it.... As air temperature drops, its ability to hold moisture also drops, so the relative humidity actually rises....this is why we have fog in the mornings only to "burn" off when day starts to warm up.

What is lowering humidity is the temperature of the evaporator coil is reaching the dew point. So the water condenses and then as the air exits the evaporator it warms up a little but has now lost some of the water.

The trick is preventing the moisture from condensing on the coils, do that and the humidity will actually rise instead of go down

;-)

exam in the morning

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually Butch....The EPA certification HVAC test IS tomorrow...9am.

I'll be there!

Previously known as: NY Plant Nerd

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    Actually Butch....The EPA certification HVAC test IS tomorrow...9am.

I'll be there!
    Kick some certification **** Smitty!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, interestingly enough, putting the rad inside my tank as opposed to resting on top seems to have *increased* internal temps by a degree or so. Curious.

I'm trying to think whether a Peltier device would be enough to give my system the edge it needs during summer heat waves and for nighttime temp drops. I know it would certainly be inadequate as a standalone cooling solution, but.... I wonder.........

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TheFury,

That is very peculiar, and makes no sense. Maybe external temperature changed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe because the rad is black it's attracting the heat from the lights. Maybe put something above the rad to block the light from it.
    cheers,
    Rob
    My CP Page (WIP) See my webpage for my Grow List
    Modified AC for Highland Terrarium

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast