Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Terrarium Setup & Pics

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Garroch, I am interested in trying this cooling idea and was wondering what temperatures you are getting with it. Like I said before I am using an AC but it is pretty inefficient.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @gill - could be the case, but temps rose almost immediately when I lowered the rad into the tank. Who knows, I'll have to keep playing with it.

@rob - the rad casing is cool to the touch; not sure whether T5HOs give off enough energy to cause that sort of warming

@heli - this setup has no trouble keeping temps around 10 degrees below ambient. At night, if my room temps drop to 70 degrees, my tank will be 60. It's not great, but it's more than fine for 90% of the year. Summer might be rough, which is why I'm considering augmenting this cooler setup with a Peltier device. That would also help bring night time temps down a few degrees extra, I'm hoping. It's worth a shot. Certainly wouldn't rely on a Peltier alone to cool my rig (on the sage advice of Av & co.), but using it as a booster might be the perfect application.

I'd say this cooler might be inadequate to control temps in a large grow space. I'm actually not sure how much warmer the water is leaving the radiator than it is entering. If it's not that much warmer, then this system would have extra cooling capacity and would be able to feed a second rad. Of course that would make the compressor work harder to cool the water that much more, but...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hm... thanks for the info. Those temps should be fine for the summer months. I found this vid that uses a peltier device but I am not sure if its effective but maybe it would be a great booster like you said. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3LMnqslbXA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep in mind that my room temps can approach 90 degrees during summer heat waves. Summer in my apartment is truly hellish. That's why I'm concerned about the inadequacy of this system... cooling from 80 to 70 isn't a big deal. Cooling from 90 to 70 might be a struggle. If your house/apartment is air conditioned, you likely don't face the same problem as me.

Funny - I was watching that same video last night. I think I'm gonna try it; gotta get cracking before things really heat up here in BK.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good luck with it, i am interested in seeing how it works. Also, im sure you could grow HL plants, temp drops are more important than the actual temps so im sure HL plants could acclimate to your temps. How is the pulchella doin?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heli, TheFury,

I am not sure if you have seen this:
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=119476

So perhaps reconsider?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea I was just talking to Butch. It seems they are actually not good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey - yeah I have seen that thread. Doesn't give me pause at all.

First off, efficiency is not my concern. I don't pay my electric bill (my landlord covers it), and as long as the device draws less current than an aquarium chiller or an A/C, I'm good.

Also, the thread notes that a 15 degree temperature drop is possible in a 20 gallon terrarium. My terrarium isn't 20 gallons, but remember that I've already got a compressor cooler doing most of the heavy lifting.

Still seems like a good idea to try if you ask me.... no?

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast