Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Terrarium Setup & Pics

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TheFury,

Try the Bong cooler?
    Simple and very effective, if you don't mind the noise. But even that could be remedied.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many have tried over the years....none that I am aware of would recommend it after trying it.

If you notice in that guys video he has basically made a styrofoam cooler. Since cold air is more dense this would work many times better than a typical terrarium. This is discussed at the end of the peltier thread.

Yann did everything possible to get a 70w peltier to work with a 10 gallon aquarium, he finally gave up

Single pane glass is a very poor insulator... and as the Delta T decreases efficiency decreases even more

Can it be made to work, IMHO.... well yes, but only with proper insulation and the removal of any single pane glass sides/bottom,

But, as someone who built a couple and tried, would I recommend it.... simple answer is no

Having said all that.... please post your progress, Ive still got all my equipment if someone comes up with a good method to make them work.

electirical sizing advice, a 70w peltier requires about 6 amps @12vdc, for continous operation it is wise to double the size of the power supply. So you will need a 12amp/12vdc power supply.... price that befor you buy anything else,
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 04-22-2012 at 11:11 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ughhhhghghghhhghghhhghghhghh LOL you're right. Once I started looking at the cost of all the stuff it seemed more expensive than it was worth to get that extra 5-10 degree temperature drop I'm looking for. The part I missed was that Yann was unable to get his setup working. The construction seemed very promising at least!

@gill_za... bong cooler eh? I'm going to have to check this method out.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually ignore my comment about bong cooler. It could be a replacement for water cooler as means of providing coolant for the radiator. I dunno what I was thinking about... Sorry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha, yeah looks like it. But those things are cool!

I figure it might not be worth it to invest more in cooling equipment. During hot summer days my temps will likely range form 75-83F down to 68-75F at night. That's not going to kill most HL Neps as long as it doesn't last too long.

I just stuck some ice packs in the reservoir of the cooler. Makes it significantly colder (obviously), but also hopefully adds some better temperature retention for the reservoir, holding cold temperatures longer. I've got a bunch of them so when a summer heat wave does come I can just switch the ice packs every night for a few days to help achieve a good temperature drop despite the heat.

Anyway.... photo time.

N. lowii x campanulata

N. maxima "Poi Dog" with some cool lookin' pitchers.

New addition! N. veitchii x platychila. Once this starts making mature pitchers the peristomes will be nuts!

Cute little spec x aristo

Repotting my P. 'Titan' has caused a bit of a growth spurt

Repotted my H. heterodoxa x minor today, but I'm pretty sure I severed a root. Got my fingers crossed this guy can power through...
    Also, an unidentified Nep pitcher inflating near the back of the pot

Little unrooted H. pulchella division from Heli... fingers crossed that it settles in!

New young Ceph with lotsa growth points

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    everything looks great and good luck with the division!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool pics!

Question though, is the temperature drop good for those temperate sundews? I have an issue with filiformis going to sleep if the temps drop to below 75 repeatedly. And rotunds don't seem to like very much. How is you experience with them?
    Last edited by gill_za; 04-23-2012 at 07:48 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! Yeah, we'll see about the temp drops. I don't really have much experience since I've only had this setup up and running for about a week. Worst case, I move those dews out to my windowsill. So far they're happy though. The D. filiformis is a red variety that doesn't require dormancy (not to say it doesn't go dormant, of course). How long does it take your filiformis to go to sleep once the temp drops start happening?

Also, that D. rotundifolia is actually a D. prolifera

So I'm starting to get concerned about the cooling capacity of my system. Room temp was 69 degrees last night. Tank temp was 61 degrees, with the cooling system running constantly. Once room temps rise, the cooling system will be inadequate to keep my HL Neps happy, don't ya think? Gotta figure something out...

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast