What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrarium Setup & Pics

Yea I just need tubing, insulation, Teflon tape, clamps, and copper tubing.

Yeah, try the local stores. The Lowes has a decent selection of tubing and clamps. Two things:

1) "Teflon tape" is labeled as thread sealing tape at Lowes. It's in the plumbing section, sorta near the tubing
2) Be prepared to struggle real hard to cut a piece of copper tubing. I don't have a tubing cutter--buy one if you wish--so I used a pair of wire cutters, a ton of elbow grease, some pliers, and a lot of grunting and cursing.

2) Be prepared to struggle real hard to cut a piece of copper tubing. I don't have a tubing cutter--buy one if you wish--so I used a pair of wire cutters, a ton of elbow grease, some pliers, and a lot of grunting and cursing.

HAHAHA that made my day :)

Ok so I ordered this Rad: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/4...ealth_120_Radiator_-_Black.html?tl=g30c95s159
And these barbs:http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...14_Barb_Fitting_-_38_ID_BP-WTP-C02.html#blank

I am a little confused by how I put the barb onto the RAD. It appears that I have to screw the barb on right? The barb doesn't appear to have threading to screw it in.

Heli,

If you look closely on the picture of the radiator you will notice the threads in the holes. That's where you will screw in the barbs.

Yea I see that but I don't see any threads on the barbs :scratch:

Indeed. G 1/4" is a standard thread size. Any product you buy that says "G 1/4"" will have threads. They happen to be very fine threads, and the thread length is short, so you can't really see them in the pic. But they're there.

---------- Post added at 03:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

Also - most of what you'll ever want or need to learn about pipe fittings: http://www.mcmaster.com/#about-barbed-tube-fittings/=hg55oh

Haha ok thanks

Ok I'm going to pick up the rest of the items that I need as we speak. I am a little confused about the car antifreeze thing though, is that necessary?

Just answered that Q in the cooling system thread. Short answer... for me, no. For you, maybe ;)

Just got my 120mm rad today. Much higher fin density, low profile, and a more powerful 120mm fan. Some reviews by overclockers said that after they upgraded their 20fpi rads to 33fpi they noticed a temperature drop of several degrees. Hopefully that'll equate to more effective cooling in this application. A fun project for the weekend!

I was just wondering if your RAD feels really cold when it is running. Mine doesnt seem to get cold.

Ok I'm going to pick up the rest of the items that I need as we speak. I am a little confused about the car antifreeze thing though, is that necessary?

Antifreeze is only necessary if your systems cools so much that water temperature starts falling below 0C. Otherwise water is fine. If you can get some glycols, you may add just a bit of it to reduce water's corrosive properties. But if it has methanol (and the one that you got does) I'd stay away.

More pics!!!11one

First, a few ugly pics... but a triumph nonetheless. These are young Neps that I nearly lost in January when I went on a trip and my drip watering system failed ???
They all abandoned their growth points and sort of languished for a while... until I kitted this terrarium out and put them in it! Within a few weeks they've all started to pump out some healthy new growth.

DSC01451.jpg

N. sanguinea

DSC01450.jpg

N. (veitchii x lowii) x spectabilis

DSC01449.jpg

N. ventricosa x aristolochioides. I think there are three new growth points on this thing.

Here's a young Ceph that died back when I had to repot it to untangle a Sarracenia from its roots:

DSC01458.jpg

It's growing again! All three growth points are each putting out one or two pitchers. It's growing surprisingly fast, too--seems happy in my terrarium so far.

DSC01453.jpg

D. prolifera is coming back... it got too dry a few months ago and pouted for this long. Now that it's in my terrarium... party time :cool:

DSC01454.jpg

New growth on a H. heterodoxa x minor rooted division that was almost taken out by my drip system failure a few months ago.

DSC01457.jpg

H. pulchella division seems to be settling in... thanks Heli!

DSC01467.jpg

On the left ... a new addition - N. x [x splendiana x ((veitchii x maxima) x veitchii)] from the NASC auction! On the right, N. (eymae x (stenophylla x lowii)) x x trusmadiensis

DSC01461.jpg

New pitcher just popped on a N. maxima poi dog

DSC01462.jpg

New N. lowii x campanulata pitcher

DSC01460.jpg

N. glandulifera x boschiana working on a leaf that's nearly twice as long as the next largest one!

DSC01448-1.jpg

And a new pitcher on the same N. glandulifera x boschiana

And finally - a new pitcher just opened on my unknown Nep. The biggest one yet in my collection!
So far the guesses for what this thing might be are: N. tobaica and N. maxima x merrilliana. This pitcher is much larger and has more defined features than previous pitchers this guy has put out, so I figured I'd snap a few more pics and ask again :)

DSC01463.jpg

DSC01464.jpg

DSC01465.jpg

N. something-or-otheris :-))

A cool shot of a few pitchers hangin out:
DSC01466.jpg

Looking good! :p

your plants are looking great (even the ones that almost dieded :)) great basal growth.... me thinks your plants love their new home.

I am having a hell of a time finding a water cooler like the one you use back in the start of the thread. The new vitapurs aren't as well designed for our application as they use a universal spigot rather than a seperate one for hot and cold. Search on, I must!!!

Thanks Myles & Heli!

Myles - Heli actually has his cooler rigged up a little differently from mine. He has the input/output lines feeding directly into the reservoir, not through spigots. It still works, though it doesn't look as clean!

Can't wait to post up my chiller/terrarium setup when it comes together. This place is awesome :) I couldn't find much info on the subject until I popped in terraforums!

You guys rock!

Can't wait to post up my chiller/terrarium setup when it comes together. This place is awesome :) I couldn't find much info on the subject until I popped in terraforums!

You guys rock!

Yes, yes we do.

What's up folks - after yet another hiatus, here I am with more propaganda for the masses!

With summer in full swing, I can safely say that my setup is merely adequate, if not slightly warmer than I'd like it to be. Day temps stay right up in the mid-high 70s (77-78F). Night temps are in the mid-high 60s. Humidity is always above 85%.

The problem is my freakin' misting system is all messed up. The stream from the misting nozzles is puny. I went through all the troubleshooting steps to no avail, so I can only assume that the pump on the unit is going. Might have to spring for a Mist King.... or maybe just buy another Monsoon unit (they're pretty cheap...)

Anyway, without further ado... pics!

DSC01471.jpg

Another group shot

DSC01475.jpg

Looks like the D. schizandra pullings have struck... thanks Heli!!

DSC01477.jpg

Two unknown Nepenthes pitchers chillin' with my Ceph

DSC01479.jpg

My Ceph looking happier by the day... which doesn't say much, but hey, it's getting better

DSC01474.jpg

CUTE baby N. ventricosa x hamata

DSC01476.jpg

N. ventricosa x fusca EXPLODED once I moved it from my windowsill to my terrarium. It's definitely staying there. Thanks Jerry!!

DSC01472.jpg

N. glandulifera x boschiana popped its biggest pitcher yet, by a long shot!

DSC01478.jpg

Another nice-sized gland x bosch pitcher in the works

DSC01473.jpg

Definitely my favorite Nep... N. (ventricosa x sibuyanensis) x (spectabilis x northiana)

Back