Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Terrarium Setup & Pics

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFury View Post
    How long does it take your filiformis to go to sleep once the temp drops start happening?

Also, that D. rotundifolia is actually a D. prolifera
    Oh no I wasn't thinking that those are rotundifolia, it's just I have them in my collection and they try to go dormant on me as soon as the temperatures start dropping. Filiformis was just taken out from the refrigerator in the beginning of March as well. At first it had put out leaves like crazy. My room temperature was 77-78 since I had heater on. And now the temperature outside started warming up (although it drops low at night) and I turned it off. Checked up on them two days ago (took the pot out from top shelve) and saw no new leaves and a tight hairy hibernacula again. Very confusing. The temperatures have been diving to below 75 throughout past few weeks at night. And it just woken up from 3 months hibernation... ehh...

Quote Originally Posted by TheFury View Post
    So I'm starting to get concerned about the cooling capacity of my system. Room temp was 69 degrees last night. Tank temp was 61 degrees, with the cooling system running constantly. Once room temps rise, the cooling system will be inadequate to keep my HL Neps happy, don't ya think? Gotta figure something out...
    I wonder what If you position the radiator lower from the lights. Or perhaps place it in such a way that the colder air from radiator also mixes with the air from a humidifier? There won't be much evaporative cooling going on but it might still give you an edge perhaps?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah as it's positioned right now it's about as low as it can get in the tank without crushing plants. It's oriented vertically so the bottom fan is a solid 10-12" below the lights. And as the airflow radiates out of the fan in a conical pattern, the airflow intersects directly with the stream of mist from the humidifier, circulating it around nicely. I also have a mist watering system that runs three one-minute cycles per day, and the mist evaporates off of the plants for about 10 minutes after each cycle. I'm afraid I'm already maxed on potential evaporative cooling.

I keep using the P word here... but I wonder if floating one of those "ice probe" Peltier aquarium chillers in the reservoir of my water cooler would be enough to cool it down an extra few degrees. Do you think my HLs and intermediates will get fussy about my current temps once things warm up a bit? I'm thinking that having come this far, I should bite the bullet and buy an aquarium chiller if temps are going to pose a problem in a month or two...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe your system can only cool down to 61, you should try making your room warm and see if it still gets down to 61. That would mean the cooling system is still effective at cooling, just down to a certain temp.
    Last edited by Heli; 04-23-2012 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Grammar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks nice. I like the poi dog. I guess those are fun if you don't mind know what's in them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Heli - you're right, I'd be thrilled if that happened. I think my HLers would be happy with a minimum temp of 60-65 (I know that's a bit on the warm end for some, but hopefully not mine...) for a few days or weeks at a time provided I could keep the day temps below 80 relatively easily.... right??

@Thagirion - thanks! Yeah, I prefer to know what's in my Neps--two of mine are unidentified--but the whole idea behind a poi dog is kinda cool too (random hodge podge of Frankenstein Neps made in a hurry, most of which are darn cool and complex hybrids). In this case, I'll take it! I know this particular poi dog is supposed to have a lot more red coloration on the pitchers, which is perplexing me at the moment. Likely that coloration will develop over time; this one is a rooted cutting that's only a few months old.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could pretty much grow any HL nep with those conditions during the summer. Sure the plants will slow down a little but they will speed up with the cooler temps of winter. I think the only plant you would have trouble with would be N. villosa but that could still grow with nights down to 60.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brilliant, that's what I assumed. Was hoping someone with practical experience could verify that. For now I'll cross my fingers that my cooler will be able to whip out the big guns during heat waves and keep the cooling fluid at a consistent temperature. And I'll have a bucket full of icepacks at the ready! Cooler temperatures (courtesy of an aquarium chiller) are just a (very expensive) click away... worst case, I'll make the plunge.

Tally-ho!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TheFury,

When you get a chance could you run a little experiment? Could you measure the temperature of the chilled and well mixed coolant when the system is idle. And the temperature of this same solution during the day and evening when the system is working and the temperature change in the terrarium plateaued. I'm just curious how well it exchanges the heat.

Thank you.

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast