Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Terrarium Setup & Pics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure, I'll do that tonight. Then I'll run it again during a summer heat wave just to see how the ambient temperature affects the cooling ability of the cooler itself. Good idea!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, I just mentioned this in robthered's cooling system thread... but with room temperature of 65F last night (brrr) my terrarium got down to 51. Not too shabby. It does go to show you how susceptible this system is to heat escaping through the glass of the terrarium. Doesn't bode well for summer months where ambient temps will be 20F higher. D'oh! I think I'm going to cover the top half of all the windows in my apartment with reflective mylar to keep some of the sun's energy out. That's as much for my benefit as it is for the plants'; it gets STUPID hot inside my apartment in July and August.

Also, gill_za... looks like I don't have an analog/liquid thermometer LOL. I'll have to go pick one up before I can measure the temps in my reservoir.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So a couple of things occurred to me that I think might prove useful.

First, I hadn't bothered to dust off the radiator coils on the back of the cooler. Done.

Second, the cooler was too close to the wall, and too close to my terrarium. I spaced it out a bit:

Now the terrarium (which I'm trying to cool, obviously) is further away from a heat source, and the coils have more room to breathe.

I also ghetto-rigged a cooling fan to blow over the radiator coils on my cooler. It's plugged in to the Hygrotherm, so when the pump comes on to begin circulating coolant to the radiator, the cooling fan comes on to draw heat away from the coils as the cooler works harder to keep the coolant cold.

I also realized that the fans I have mounted to my radiator are low-flow because they're also low-noise. They don't move a whole lot of air. So if I got a normal fan with higher air flow, I'd probably get better results.

Interesting... Now, to find a thermometer...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow dude. Great idea with the fan on the cooler fins. I'm gonna do the same once I get my tank complete good stuff
    cheers,
    Rob
    My CP Page (WIP) See my webpage for my Grow List
    Modified AC for Highland Terrarium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob! It certainly won't help the coolant get any cooler, but it will definitely dissipate heat faster, which in turn means that the system will hopefully have that much more heat-zapping potential once my room turns into an oven this summer!

A few more pics - I've added some neighbors (and, please excuse the crappy iPhone pics)

I put a pothos plant on top of a takeout container lid on the reservoir of my cooler. It looks neat, and the pot will act as insulation! Temps in my terrarium currently mid-60s with an ambient temperature of 70-ish (cooling system only kicks in at night with these ambient temps). RH is steady above 80%.

Funny, I notice my humidifier works MUCH harder to keep the humidity up when it's set at 85% instead of 80%. At 85% I need to refill it every two days. I can easily go three or four days if I keep my Hygrotherm set to 80% RH.

You'll also notice a few more empty spaces in the terrarium! That's because I'm making room for a few new arrivals currently on their way most notably a N. ventricosa x hamata and a N. burbidgae x edwardsiana.

Some of the plants went here:

Once I add a humidifier to the area, this windowsill should actually become an acceptable spot to grow LL Neps.

The rest of the plants went here:

A good ol' tray of dews & pings

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything looks great Garroch! How is the cooler working for you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far so good. Depending on how warm my room is at night my cooler seems to be able to drop my terrarium down to 55-62 degrees. I'm still nervous about the summer though. If I find my system struggling to keep things cooler than 68-70 degrees overnight I might have to bail and invest in an aquarium chiller.

I also ordered some insulation panels online, so I can insulate the side & back walls of my terrarium to help retain cool temperatures if need be. We'll see how that goes.

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 PM ----------

The thing that's bugging me right now is my new Ceph. I repotted it to separate it from a Sarr, but I believe I ended up stressing the hell out of it, and now it's mad at me. I really hope this guy pulls through. It'll be a looker once it reaches adulthood, I can tell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFury View Post
    So far so good. Depending on how warm my room is at night my cooler seems to be able to drop my terrarium down to 55-62 degrees. I'm still nervous about the summer though. If I find my system struggling to keep things cooler than 68-70 degrees overnight I might have to bail and invest in an aquarium chiller.

I also ordered some insulation panels online, so I can insulate the side & back walls of my terrarium to help retain cool temperatures if need be. We'll see how that goes.

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 PM ----------

The thing that's bugging me right now is my new Ceph. I repotted it to separate it from a Sarr, but I believe I ended up stressing the hell out of it, and now it's mad at me. I really hope this guy pulls through. It'll be a looker once it reaches adulthood, I can tell.
    If you need colder temperatures, why not bypass the thermostat on the cooler with an external one like I did. Then it will allow you to turn the temps way lower than the device would normally be allowed to go. Could save you 500-700 bucks for a chiller.
    cheers,
    Rob
    My CP Page (WIP) See my webpage for my Grow List
    Modified AC for Highland Terrarium

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast