Likes Likes:  0
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Terrarium Setup & Pics

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robthered View Post
    If you need colder temperatures, why not bypass the thermostat on the cooler with an external one like I did. Then it will allow you to turn the temps way lower than the device would normally be allowed to go. Could save you 500-700 bucks for a chiller.
    How would you bypass the thermometer? Also, can you take a look at the water cooler that I got? I am not sure what to do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @rob - actually yeah, never thought of that. That's the part of your step-by-step instructions that made my head spin. Thanks for pointing that out! How would you go about doing that?

My concern with this whole rig is that while the cooling liquid might be cold as hell, the radiator can't exchange the heat efficiently enough to keep temps 20-25 degrees below ambient in the summer. We'll just wait and see! But yeah, step one will be to bypass that thermostat, so I'd love to hear more about how you did it.

@heli - I looked at your cooler. Looks nice. Though I'm not sure what you're confused about now. Two of us wrote pretty detailed step-by-step instructions with pics Anyway if you have specific questions I'd be happy to do my best to answer them, but seems to me that you've got what you need to get crackin' on building a cooler rig of your own.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I am confused where I put the pump and tubes. Is there anything else I need to remove or is what I am looking at the reservoir?

---------- Post added at 12:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 PM ----------

oh waiittt... is that small protrusion where I put the tube?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah. Well since we established that you can't mount hose barbs in place of taps on the front of your unit (since your unit is a push-button dispenser without taps, fancypants), the tubing and such will run directly in and out of the top of your reservoir.

So - stick the pump in the reservoir, hook some tubing up to it, and connect the other end of the tubing to your rad.

From your rad, connect another piece of tubing and run that tube directly to the reservoir and leave it loose. The water returning from your rad will spill right back into the reservoir to get cooled down and sucked up again.

Now - you could do what I did and put some coils of copper tubing in the reservoir (be careful, if you bend copper tubing too much it'll just crimp, AND it's a pain in the ***** to cut without a proper tubing cutter) and have the return line pump water through the coil before it empties into the reservoir. That'll help keep temperature distribution within the reservoir more even & alleviates the possibility that the warm water coming back from the rad will get sucked right back up by the pump before having a chance to cool back down. Make sense?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok thanks, so the water cooler cools the water directly in the tank? Thanks for the help, im going to be ordering the rad and fan next.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep! The walls of the reservoir are what the compressor works so hard to cool down. At that point the fluid inside the reservoir can't help but get cold too!

I just "modded" my windowsill setup... threw down some egg crate to elevate my Neps above any standing water. Gonna put them on the drip system I had set up on my old grow rack...cha ching. Threw my mini humidifier in there too. Should be a good spot for som LL Nep action. If anyone has any LL cuttings to spare.... you know who to call

Just a couple of ventratas there for now (or more specifically N. Deroose alata, if you believe they exist). They want neighbors!

Common as they are, I just love the shape of ventrata pitchers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome plants, and amazing terrarium! Makes me seriously regret getting rid of my old terrarium (had a tortoise in it, so no plants were ever in it )

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, with some plier work I got it!

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast