User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cooling terrariums with icepaks ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cooling terrariums with icepaks ?

I have 3 terrarium with nepenthes, heliamphora, utricularia, cephalotus, stylidium, genlisea and some mexican pinguicula. Sometimes i have 32C inside so i tryed a couple of icepaks. The temps drop at 25C but i have to add some water on the tray to keep high humidity. Someone have experience with ice/icepaks inside terra? Its dangerous for my plants ?

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the year I've had my terrarium I've used icepacks in the hotter months without any problems (apart from dropping them on my plants!) I think as long as they're not directly touching the plants then it's a perfectly safe (though fairly ineffective) way of cooling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I plan on doing this for the coming summer. A lot cheaper than building a dedicated cooling system.
    <Av8tor1> as big as peat is, the bear runs not him

Big Boss, Founder, and Major Cheese of the Canadian Association for the Cultivation of Carnivorous Plants... Ask if you want to join, I'm the only member...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cheaper but it doesnt exactly take care of itself when you are gone for a few days. Better than nothing no doubt tho

icepacks are usually very har to pop or rip by accident especially without a blade. Your plants should be safe with you using the icepacks to cool their tank

does this rag smell like chloroform to you? boxofrain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just put a wire rack on top and set the cool pak on it, no need to insert it, as the cool air drops.
    sounds like a lot of attention would be needed to maintain any size terrarium this way.
    Maybe a block of dry ice on the rack would be too cold?
    good luck.
    "the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime"

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mylesG View Post
    cheaper but it doesnt exactly take care of itself when you are gone for a few days. Better than nothing no doubt tho

icepacks are usually very har to pop or rip by accident especially without a blade. Your plants should be safe with you using the icepacks to cool their tank
    This is what I was thinking. Changing the packs several times a day will get very old very soon. You will burn out and start hating the routine

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maiden View Post
    I have 3 terrarium with nepenthes, heliamphora, utricularia, cephalotus, stylidium, genlisea and some mexican pinguicula. Sometimes i have 32C inside so i tryed a couple of icepaks. The temps drop at 25C but i have to add some water on the tray to keep high humidity. Someone have experience with ice/icepaks inside terra? Its dangerous for my plants ?

Thanks!
    Off- topic, but where did you find your icon? It looks like a picture I'd love to hang on my walls!

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried it in my grow rack once, but there was hardly a temperature drop, if any. Just keep in mind that the humidity may suffer a bit if you decide to do this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast