What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cooling terrariums with icepaks ?

I have 3 terrarium with nepenthes, heliamphora, utricularia, cephalotus, stylidium, genlisea and some mexican pinguicula. Sometimes i have 32C inside so i tryed a couple of icepaks. The temps drop at 25C but i have to add some water on the tray to keep high humidity. Someone have experience with ice/icepaks inside terra? Its dangerous for my plants ?

Thanks! :)

For the year I've had my terrarium I've used icepacks in the hotter months without any problems (apart from dropping them on my plants!) I think as long as they're not directly touching the plants then it's a perfectly safe (though fairly ineffective) way of cooling.

I plan on doing this for the coming summer. A lot cheaper than building a dedicated cooling system.

cheaper but it doesnt exactly take care of itself when you are gone for a few days. Better than nothing no doubt tho :)

icepacks are usually very har to pop or rip by accident especially without a blade. Your plants should be safe with you using the icepacks to cool their tank

Just put a wire rack on top and set the cool pak on it, no need to insert it, as the cool air drops.
sounds like a lot of attention would be needed to maintain any size terrarium this way.
Maybe a block of dry ice on the rack would be too cold?
good luck.

cheaper but it doesnt exactly take care of itself when you are gone for a few days. Better than nothing no doubt tho :)

icepacks are usually very har to pop or rip by accident especially without a blade. Your plants should be safe with you using the icepacks to cool their tank

This is what I was thinking. Changing the packs several times a day will get very old very soon. You will burn out and start hating the routine :)

I have 3 terrarium with nepenthes, heliamphora, utricularia, cephalotus, stylidium, genlisea and some mexican pinguicula. Sometimes i have 32C inside so i tryed a couple of icepaks. The temps drop at 25C but i have to add some water on the tray to keep high humidity. Someone have experience with ice/icepaks inside terra? Its dangerous for my plants ?

Thanks! :)

Off- topic, but where did you find your icon? It looks like a picture I'd love to hang on my walls!

I tried it in my grow rack once, but there was hardly a temperature drop, if any. Just keep in mind that the humidity may suffer a bit if you decide to do this.

freeze a few 2 liter soda bottles they last a long time

Thx for the replys! I have to change the icepaks 2 times a day, so i have to find another way to drop the temp. Maybe i will put some money on a portable air conditioner.

Air conditioner = 400$
Neons + reflectors = 250$
Terrarium and plants = 500$

..All this started with a single dionea i found at home-depot.. !

the carnuvorous plant addiction tends to do that.... its awesome and scary at the same time :p

you could build a DIY cooler system with a used water cooler for less then the 400 and save on electricity at the same time :)

Instead of the AC you could buy small refrigerator and pump cold air from it into the terrarium :)

Perhaps pure liquid nitrogen pumped into the water trays would do? That should cool things down enough.

Your neps would look "smashing"

peaty, i just mowed my lawn....think i could get a swig to cool down? ;) haha

Dry ice ? Mhmm its not toxic for the plants ?

MylesG: scary ?? Ask my gf

for me its scary how fast the money flies oudda my wallet for CPs

Maiden, does ur girl like CPs at all or does she just shake her head at you lol

I froze two enormous distilled water bottles last night, so I can alternate between them, should be enough to cool my terra for about a day and a half.

peatmoss: i got 3 lil terra, so i have to use small icepaks. i put some the morning, after work at 5 and the night when the lights turn offs.

myles: for her, i take too much time taking care of my carnivorous plants. I told her that i have 10+species, i dont have choice hahah

i have one species of GF and ten species of plants.... im sorry hun, you gunna have to wait :p hahaha

good way to get yaself in the doghouse ;)

Back