Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: myles' high and lowland terrarium builds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    man that fog! I love it. great set up. looking forward to pictures & more about the set up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks man, im already thinking about making my own acrylic enclosures to maximize space on this shelf.... the tanks are 12 inches wide. I am thinkin about doubling that for width and going from about 18 high to about 30. these plants need room to spread their leaves n vines!!!! it wouldnt be crazy expensicve if I cut and bond the sheets myself.... would def be worth doing once I replenish plant funds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you know I've always wanted a aquarium in the wall as a divider. maybe a vivarium with HL would be better instead. lol I hear you man, terrariums can get expensive. how about doing an indoor green house like Mass's? If i had the room inside the house I'd do that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I had the room I would but this allows my plants to live in my bedroom and I can enjoy them at a glance anytime. If I evntually get a greenhouse, I still think I'd have a tank in my bedroom. I like my plants to be directly in my living space

vivarium/terrariums are easier to setup as dividers sincee they dont weigh so much. big fish tanks get heavy FAST n before ya know it, you taking about needigng a cement foundation to support the sucker!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mylesG View Post
    thank you veryyyy much for posting kyle! hadn't consider the vacuum.... was planning on sealing the larger bucket but airtight might be tough.

first off, awesome idea on the bucket humidifier. if it'll make my life easier on the reloads of water, im in!

can you throw up links to what I'd need for the bucket humidifiers? I am not super handy and need things explained pretty simply to me. But its not from lack of trying on my part!

The only problem i foresee is that i have two tanks on two hygrotherms. I want them to keep each tanks' humidity at set points. Can I do this with one bucket humidifier or would i need one for each tank?

again, really appreciate the input before i drilled holes anywhere i would regret.
    Sorry, I missed this post.

If you go to the build thread in my sig, watch the video, and skip to about 2:50, you'll see the basic design. The basics of it really is just a pond fogger in a buoy in some sort of reservoir, with a fan to push the fog out. Got my 3-disc pond fogger + buoy on ebay for like $70, been going about two years now and I've had to replace the discs (about $5/ea) once. Not too shabby if you ask me. I think when the time comes to get a replacement fogger I'll get one of the 5-disc ones from mainlandmart that does like 1500mL/hr.

Regarding having to deal with both tanks, well... you could certainly pull it off with some creativity, lol. One of two ideas that immediately come to mind are using powered duct louvers (open when powered) to control where the fog goes. Another is that you could put two large-diameter pieces of PVC with holes in the bottom through the bucket lid, all the way to the bottom, essentially creating two "fogging chambers" within the same reservoir, but you'd need a fogger for each chamber. Both these ideas are relatively expensive, but I'm sure with some creativity other, cheaper methods could be thought of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm... sounds interesting. I am fairly poor atm and would have to wait to buy the supplies so i have time to ponder on it before jumping in.

right now I'm using the bottles that come with the reptifoggers, did you mention that 2 liter soda bottles will work? if so, that should give me more water in the rez each fill right? these def seem smaller then 2 liter as far as capacity. Would be a nice improvement for very cheap for the time being

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never owned one of them, but I remember someone (Heli, perhaps?) saying they used Smart Water bottles. It's worth a shot anyway, all it costs ya is the money for the soda. XD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thats what i was sayin lol. anything to increase gaps between fillups!

cheers, really appreciate the info you took the time to drop on me

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast