What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heli's magical greenhouse adventure

Heli

villosaholic
so... it looks like I will be upgrading my setup soon. Probably when I move at the end of the summer. I was hoping to do a miniature greenhouse sort of like the one mksmith posted in the indoor greenhouse thread. I did a couple blueprints as you can see here... any suggestions?
I was looking at either this
http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/flowerhouse-spring.shtml
or this
http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/flowerhouse-plant.shtml (plant house 5)
which one do you think would be better or is there another model that I should use.

some pics..
side view
IMG_0259.jpg

view from the front
IMG_0260.jpg

view from the top
IMG_0261.jpg

@Kyle, I think 4 fans may be overkill but I am not sure about the humidifier. Do you think one humidifier could sufficiently get a 6x6x6 area to over 80%?

The fans may not be overkill, my small setup needs a fan per shelf, and the area is much smaller... But they also dry out the setup

yea I am more concerned about humidity. The AC should take care of the temp. I think I will just go with 4, if there is to much air movement I can just lower their power.

Yep, that works! Mine are on min power, and needed to put flow limiters to keep from having to water every day.

is your setup indoors or out? Do you have a humidifier? I will be using a hygrotherm so it should be able to keep it humid.

Humidifier broke, need a new one... I keep breaking thermometers and hygrometers, never thought of investing in an actual hygrotherm.

oh ok. Also, what lighting do you use? I am debating what to get, would 4' 4 t5s or 2' 4 t5s be better?

T5 HO's, Sunblaster brand. They work very well, and are cool, just compounds with the warm conditions in my house.

do you know how hot your house is? Mine gets up to 79 during the day. Hopefully the t5hos wont heat it up to much. I am sure that the combination of fans and humidifier will keep it cool during the day. Of course the ac would go on when it gets to warm.

I think I will go with the 2' lights. 4' would pretty much take up the entire ceiling and heat it up a lot.

Yeah, you should be fine, my house is 80-90 degrees during the summer, way cooler during winter.

More fans on lower speed is better than fewer fans on higher speed, IMO. A nice, gentle breeze throughout is much better than a strong wind in one area, and a deadzone in another. XD

You might be able to get away with humidifying 216 cubic feet with a single humidifier, but I don't know. I believe mass uses 2 of 'em, maybe more. You might want to consider a bucket humidifier, though, because even if one normal one can attain that kind of humidity, I can almost guarantee you'll be filling it every day which becomes a real chore over time.

Mmm, and I'd really go with the 4' fixture. Cheaper over time and more light coverage. If you're worried about it heating the enclosure, relocate the ballast. Simple wiring procedure.

hmmm ok thanks. How would I make a bucket humidifier?

kyle, would it really be needed for neps though? Thats a lot of light for a 5x5x6 area.

It's a pretty simple concept, just a bucket with a floating pond fogger and a fan to push the fog out. You can see mine towards the beginning of my greenhouse build thread's video. The concept can be adapted to a multitude of setups. If you wanted a gigantinormous reservoir, for example, you could use a heavy duty trash can, lol.

I don't remember how big Exo's setup is, but he uses an 8-bulb 4ft fixture.

Kyle, ok thanks.... I will look into it. Keep in mind I will have some cfls so the t5ho wont be all the lighting.

I think Exo's setup is fairly large. The lights would be like 2-3' away from the plants.

Back