What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

advice for my first bog pot.

All of my drosera and dionaea are in individual pots with trays and wanted to put all the temperate stuff in 1 pot so it looks better and easier to manage. I also think that moving them all to a larger pot would give them room to grow and the more bog like conditions should make the plants happier.

From what I have picked up it is pretty straight forward:

-seal the pot.

-install piece of pvc with holes drilled in it to check water level.

-drill hole in pot for upper limit water runoff.

anything else I should know?

1 question:

approximately how far from the top of the soil should the drain hole be drilled?

-seal the pot.
Not sure what you mean by that..you should choose a pot that doesn't require sealing! ;)
plastic is best IMO, or if using clay/ceramic, use one that is already glazed and waterproof..
(although those are difficult to drill holes in..which is why plastic is easier)

-install piece of pvc with holes drilled in it to check water level.
meh..thats fine if you want to bother..personally I have never bothered, and have never regretted it..
in all my mini-bogs, I just have a drain hole in the side, but no way to check the water level..
I also have smaller pots in trays..when the water runs low in the trays (where the amount of water in the tray is highly visible)
I simply water the entire collection..including the mini-bogs..I can tell when the water is nearing the top,
and the water begins to drain out the tubes..

approximately how far from the top of the soil should the drain hole be drilled?

there is no one correct answer..
I like 2 to 3 inches below the surface of the growing media..

CP2008-017.jpg

Scot

thanks for helping with the q.

ill probably install a fitting on the bottom as well in case i decide to make it a circulating self-contained bog.

scotty pretty much covered it.. if your going big you'll probably want to add some type of "filler" in the bottom of your pots to take up space and make the end weight a bit lighter. in one of mine i filled the bottom with styrofoam peanuts and in another i just turned a pot upside down and put it in the bottom of the larger pot. if you do the upside down pot you can put the pvc pipe down into it to fill it up with water that way you have a large reservoir under the dirt..
IMG_0859.jpg

Back