What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LED grown plants

Hi all
today i had the time to take some pictures from my test setup for LED in my Basement.
I grow the plants under a 90W UFO Light fromt he newest generation.
The plants seem to like it. i even started to use LED rope in my lab

Can't really argue with those Helis.

how long have they been under the led's? how much did the 90w set you back? what would the lumens output?

the plants have been under the lights since march....
You cant calculate the lumens on LED, forget the story, i think it is so funny that people praise their LED panels with lumens.
Lumens are a unit for white LED.
AW told us in the german forum that we have to calculate LED in photon but i guess the equipments costs to much.
We found that if you use the right wavelenghts and LED chipset you can exchange a 39W T5 lamp with 1m 14W LED Strip.

Hi nepaholic. What wavelength did you use.

I don't think wavelength matters. Just google "UFO grow light" and use a color like this one. They usually have pics.

wow. Great results!

wavelength does matter. I'm not expert on carnivorous plants but I have experience with another brand of plant, and long story short plants use a certain wavelength (or two) for growth.

if I'm not mistaken 465nm is right around the sweet spot for summer growth, but in the autumn there is a different wavelength. In nature the plant is getting "balanced" light from the sun so no need to change lighting for different growing cycles.

Blue does better for growth, red does better for flowering periods and I'm not really sure how UV affects things.

Oh, so a blue/red light is best?

I can't say specific to carnivorous plants, but it should apply the same so yeah a red/blue combo in the right wavelengths could do wonders. Find the wavelengths that the plants use and you can get some really lush plants.

Another thing I've found (only once so far) that works pretty well with regular varieities of plants is to use an airstone/pump in the soil. It adds air to the soil for the roots and can cause some pretty awesome root growth. It sounds odd I know, but it does work and does bubble air through the soil. I'm not sure how this would work on wet bog like soil mixes though.

the red light would be unnatural for tropical plants they don't get the red shift in the fall, from the angle of the sun

ahh ok, I wasn't sure about that, I wasn't growing tropicals :)

I use these for the SPS in my reef tank, If they can grow corals they should be perfect for plants. Definitely looking to see the long term results of this.

i use a fair amount of red light in my high and lowland setups.

Back