Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mini-Bogs in Vegas?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, my search for information has uncovered very little to nothing...even some articles saying its still a mystery. So I have some general questions that may help me unravel this a bit more without being to costly upfront...Id like to not kill as much as possible.

Container
    - What containers generally stay cooler? Clay, Terra Cotta, Plastic, Ceramic
    - Similar question, What material are good at dissipating internal heat?

Soil
    - Are there better soils that can be used that suit the above questions? Stay Cool and Cool Quicker or dissipate heat quickly?

I went home for lunch and by 12:15 the sun was already at a point that the backside of my house was casting a shadow where the plants/containers would be.

Thanks again everyone
    _________

-Josh Gertz
    Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Josh

If you can put a clay pot with you plant in, within another clay pot (both with holes in the bottom) and fill the space between with sphagnum moss or inert wicking material, then stand that in a tray of water you effectively create an evaporative cooler with the heat bing drawn from the inner pot keeping it cool. How much cooler though is a bit of a lottery dependant on ambient temp and humidity but it is definitely cooler.

So I would suggets clay pots, stood in a tray of rainwater with possibly white gravel or similar reflective top dressing on the CP soil and I would stay with the standard mix.

Cheers
    Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Booth View Post
    Hi Josh

If you can put a clay pot with you plant in, within another clay pot (both with holes in the bottom) and fill the space between with sphagnum moss or inert wicking material, then stand that in a tray of water you effectively create an evaporative cooler with the heat bing drawn from the inner pot keeping it cool. How much cooler though is a bit of a lottery dependant on ambient temp and humidity but it is definitely cooler.

So I would suggets clay pots, stood in a tray of rainwater with possibly white gravel or similar reflective top dressing on the CP soil and I would stay with the standard mix.

Cheers
    Steve
    Thanks for the info Steve

Humidity is little to none unless it rains like it did on Wednesday. Ill be testing a few things out this weekend to check general temperatures with different planters at specific spots in the backyard.
    _________

-Josh Gertz
    Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Experiment so far...by noon, right before the sun moves behind the house and the planters get shade...these are soil temperatures

Recycled Plastic Pot(6") - 102.2F
    Plastic Rectangle Planter(12" long by 6" wide) - 103.3F
    Terra Cotta Pot(6") - 98F
    Terra Cotta Pot(6") inside a Terra Cotta Pot(8") - 92F

They are on a concrete slab that is creating some ambient heat so if I place them on the dirt the temps will probably be a little lower, or if they were on shelving they would probably be a little lower.
    _________

-Josh Gertz
    Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Josh

Are the terracotta pots porus? If not the pot in pot with sphagnum or wicking material standing in a tray of water wont work so well as it should, did you stand them in a tray of water or just on the slabs as you say above?

Cheers
    Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They were in a tray of water.

They stayed wet all day, the tray did dry out by 5pm.
    _________

-Josh Gertz
    Grow List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12