Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My greenhouse: 44 gallon pentagon with humidity problems

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My greenhouse: 44 gallon pentagon with humidity problems

FTS:
    Last edited by asid61; 01-17-2013 at 05:35 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow.. I can't even picture all of this in my head. Any chance of seeing a pic of your current setup? I'm slow.. so visual displays help like no other.

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few things you can do.
    Not sure where you live, but I would serious consider moving any Sarracenia and VFT's outside. Place them in full sun. Not at once. Do it slowly, over a few days moving the plants from a shaded area, to a brighter area and then full sun.

I would not be overly concerned about the humidity. I grow a lot of plants in the house at 20-35% humidity. (Cephs, Neps (HL & LL), Dews, Pings, Utrics etc, etc). It may take them some time to adjust, but they always do.

As for you tank. Do you have any opening on top? All my tanks have a several inch opening the length of the tank for air circulation, and too let the heat escape. My temps are in the mid 80's and I grow a Heliamphora heterodoxa x minor in my setup. I have tried some other Helis in there, and have lost some do to the heat but the heterodoxa x minor does not seem to mind.

I may try to post some pics here shortly...

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Elgecko! I have visited your site a lot. I live in the north bay area in CA and it gets pretty hot. The VFT and the pitcher seem to be doing fine inside so I will keep them there. I would rather not lose them to heat/sun/humidity, as they are used to 70% humidity all day long.

Good news. I upped the time the humidifier is on, so now it is on 2/3 of the time and the humidity stays above 60% all day, and is peaking at 85% at night. Temperature is peaking today at 78*. Lowest humidity all day, accoring to my exo-terra thermo-hygrometer, is 61%.

The camera just got back from India, so pics will be posted later today.
    Last edited by asid61; 07-14-2012 at 03:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And here they are:
    View from room

Full tank shot

Top of tank

FTS of bottom

View from left

Pics of individual plants to come. Misty-ness if just from humidifer that was on a minute ago.
    Last edited by asid61; 07-14-2012 at 03:54 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Individual plants. There are two pygmy sundews that I could not get with the camera.

Standard venus flytrap from Home Depot

Cephalotus

Drosera spatulata. I have 2 of these.

Drosera capensis

Drosera carbarup

Drosera binata T-form

Drosera adelae- the only sundew with dew right now.

Sarracenia purpurea v. (v stands for ventricosa?)

Nepenthes bicalcarata

Drosera madagascariensis

Heliamphora minor x heterodoxa

Same from top

And an empty terrarium that will eventually house some jungle plants:

Comments? Suggestions?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    V. stands for venosa. And just a heads up, some of those plants are completely incompatible together. THe bical and Heli, for example, prefer opposite ends of the temperature spectrum, the bical preferring hot and humid, the Heli enjooying cool days and cold nights. Also, I admit it's not a bad idea to place LED's in there for humidity purposes, some of the sundews would do best in full sun, while types like the bical do better in partial shade.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bical is not doing too good, I know. I read that lowland plants do better in 80+* weather and high humidity, like what prevailed in my tank a few weeks ago. 70-80%/ 78* is now normal, with lows in the lower 60%s/68*. I may have to move it to a seperate terrarium.
    But this is also good news, as it means the other plants will do better and the interesting nepenthes that are highland might grow better.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast