0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it kinda looks like a rotundifolia?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i found a tomato hornworm in my garden today, so i cut it into bite sized pieces for the tarnok. while cutting it open, several little white maggoty looking things came wriggling out!ewwww, parasites!!! i put the chunks in the pitchers and they slid right in. yum, wasp larvae infested caterpillar chunks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    another little update...

cool picture i took of my parrot pitchers

the Drosera filliformis has been growing quite a bit, and now i think it might be Drosera tracyi, not filliformis

i think i may have a little problem with the tarnok. a lot of the newer pitchers are starting to look like this, twisted and a little deformed. i thought it might just be some form of heat damage to the pichers, but then i saw some small, almost mite-like bugs crawling on the pithcer in the second photo, and im afraid that they might be some type of aphis. none of the other plants seem to be affected. any advice as to what i should do, or am i just freaking out over nothing?

this one is only a little deformed, compared to some others, but it is where i first noticed the bugs, or whatever they are. i have not seen them since, but they might still be there...

Last edited by sarracenia_X; 08-11-2012 at 11:36 AM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, looks like either aphid or thrip damage.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    crap....

what shal i do?!? my poor tarnok!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    spray it with byer 3 in 1

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like the damage from one or more of the juice sucking pests - spider mites, aphids, mealybugs, scale or thrips. Identifying which would indicate which pesticide/miticide to use.

Aphids, scale & mealybugs - a systemic insecticide like Bayer Advanced Rose and Flower Insect Killer
    Thrips - a Spinosad based insecticide or the above. Spinosad is more effective in my opinion.
    Spider Mites - Permethrin is best, then Pyrethrin or a pyretroid (synthetic). Avoid Imidacloprid based insecticides (like Bayer) as it can stimulate egg laying and fertility in some species of mites.

Manual removal of mealybugs is also highly recommended as mere spraying is seldom effective in eliminating them. Peel off any dead leaves around the crown as they hide in the nooks and crannies there. People will give you all sorts of recipes for solutions to help with this. 1 part water and 1 part rubbing alcohol is most common. Apply with a small (watercolor) paint brush. I use a solution of 1 part 409 cleaner, 1 part rubbing alcohol and 4 parts water. The soap dissolves the waxy shells on the mealybugs and is dilute enough not to harm the plants unless you overdo it. Moderation is the key.

Neem oil can be used but I've never found it to be all that effective. YMMV.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast