What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sarracenia_X's half-barrel pond

:crap:

is my water hyacinth done for? i dont know why it has started to go brown

fyn0nd.jpg

poor plant....:cry:

My water hyacinth/lettuce turned brown and yellow just like that....i thought it was from the heat but ive never had heat problems before. Let me know if you figure it out.

well, its been awhile, but heres an update!!

i had got a lot more hyacinth about 3, mabey 4 months ago, because the water was being overheated by full sun. they produced some rather pretty blooms, mabey ill get pics up later. about 2 months ago, with the weather getting colder, i decided to put everything in a 20 gallon tank that i set up for the pond. everything is doing well, especially the bannana plant, which i put in my brothers planted 20 gallon tank. (a different one) the underwater leaves got about 3-4 times bigger, and i got a pleasant suprise when it started to produce little lilly pads in the tank! i had heard that they were related to waterlillies, but i had no idea that they could produce floating leaves! mabey ill have some pics up later!

You put a banana plant underwater? •_•

You put a banana plant underwater? •_•

hilarious.....:rolleyes:

its this, not the kind of bananas you eat! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nymphoides_aquatica

you probably already know that, and were just being funny, but i learned something new from that wikipedia page. apparently, these things can be found all along the southern/mid east coast, including maryland! for some reason i had thought that they were from south america! guess i was just being stupid though!

i wonder if there is anywhere nearby where i can see these plants in their natural habitat?

Awesome container pond! Some more floaters you can add are frogbit, water lettuce, and duckweed (a pain in the butt to get rid of though:censor:), but I also like the clean look that you have right now. Great job!

Back