What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I gots a terrarium!! :-D

How do I cool it, you ask?

Frozen bottles!

I switched from 4 bottles to 3. Gets the tank to 54-55 at night. Humidity at night is 85-90.

Last edited:
hahaha nice. I used to do that. Are the bottles filled with salt water? That may make it so you only need two.

lol nice chipmunk. The tank looks great! How are you cooling it?

I totally read that as.."nice chipmunk. The tank looks great ! How are you COOKING it ? ":-D

Sundrew-nope they arent filled with salt water. I'll have to check that out sometime :D

Amberrose-Oh yeah because HL neps just love to be cooked :lol:

Sundrew-nope they arent filled with salt water. I'll have to check that out sometime :D

When I did water bottles, I read that salt water makes the freezing temperature of water below 32F (I think it goes down to 17F). It made my tank much cooler.

@AmberRose: :lol:

if ya do decide to use salt water in the bottles, be very careful when you fill them. you must keep the saltwater on the inside or drops of salt left on the bottles could mix with the plant water and harm your plants!

Finally got a fan ordered. My tentaculata was getting rust. The only problem with the fan is that it lowers the humidity to a terrifying 55% O_O
IMG_9285.jpg

IMG_9297.jpg

My plants seem to be doing fine so far. Tentaculata "Murud" has a basal :D
And burbeddie decided it liked me enough to put out a new leaf
IMG_9284.jpg

Lowland truncata seems to be doing ok in HL conditions
IMG_9258.jpg

And I has little byblis linoflora seedlings :D
IMG_9256.jpg

Looks awesome TOG, but definitely put some water on the bottom of that.

Are the fan and humidifier at all times? I suggest you make some sort of opening so the fan can suk in cool air from the outside of the tank, otherwise you are just cecirculating hot air. I also suggest you stick the humidity tube right in front of the fan.

Very nice terrarium! You should put a layer of nice sphagnum moss on the bottom, it looks awesome and aids humidity :D

Moved some things around in my tank after listening to some peep's advice and suggestions.

@Heli; Like dis?
IMG_9302.jpg

Built some stands for my tentac and burbeddie and then put some water at the bottom. Definetly helped with the humidity
IMG_9306.jpg

@CreatureTom: I only have 5 small pieces of live sphagnum at the moment :p

I don't really see any opening for the fan to let air in. I would also bring the nozzle a bit closer, like right in front of it.

Lego stands? Brownie points for innovation! lol

I have to say that the tank looks fantastic :D How much do the frozen water bottles cool down the tank? Bit curious about that. Also, I was going to say nice truncata (I am quite envious).

-S21

Speaking of your awesome water bottles, did you fill them with salt water yet?

@Heli: Okee dokee. i'll try ;)

@Sarr21: Yeah I was going through my entire house trying to find something that would hold my neps above the water. Found some legos in a brothers closet :D 3 frozen waterbottles cool down the tank to about 54-55 degrees. And thanks, I was going insane trying to find a truncata. Had to settle for a LL one but am still happy with it

@Sundrew: Nope haven't done it yet. I think im going to stick with the regular unsalted water. Why change if its already working great? But thanks for suggesting that method to me anyways :D

Looking really good Togster!

Thanks pebes!

Really glad I got the fan. Giving the plants some air circulation and keeping the tank at a cool 70 degrees :D

Where is your tank located?

Nice tank. I look forwad to seeing it grow.
And, IMHO, ceph are really easy. The nursery I ordered it from sent it to me by accident, and never asked for it back. So grew it, and it is still going strong after 4 months.
However, both the VFTs I bought did very badly are are dying a slow death. The cephalotus grows faster than any of my CPs, inculding the D. capensis.

Back