What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My new grow chamber

It still needs a little work to be 100% complete but is already a huge improvement over my old terrarium.

-first of all it is much bigger. Can fit about 4 10 gallon fish tanks inside it so my plants are much more comfortable.

-secondly the humidity control is much improved. I added a circulation fan in addition to the evacuation fan in the old terrarium. Instead of the fog hugging the bottom; it is evenly distributed now.

-third I am embracing a hybrid method of lighting.....in addition to the 10k lumens t5ho florescent the semi-clear chamber sides act as light diffusers which allows the addition of a few hours of evening sunlight through a west window. temp went up about 5 degrees from 82 to 87. definitely managable for the lowlanders......I will start doing more research to replace the florescent tubes entirely with sunlight.

finishing touches that need to be done include

-as of now I am using clear cling wrap for the top but will replace with clear plexi-glass.
-need to finish research and possible implementation of natural sunlight over the florescent tubes.
-need to buy more material to stand plants on to get em above water level.
-need to buy a few trays to set the plants in to isolate them from the terrarium water supply(they are not used for watering; just isolation).
-need to look into options for a drip system so I can automate the last part of the process.

Don't have a pic but is forthcoming.

little late but I have a few pics. I am using a combination of diffused sunlight and florescent light with no ill effects...if I had to guess I would say the sunlight is about 66% diffused. I bought some trays and decided against more material to get the plants above water level. Haven't looked into the drip system yet. Still haven't gotten the plexi top but is on my list. The plants look kinda lonely in there but they will get some company soon enough :) . Decided to switch to rainwater over distilled water. Also would recommend using one of these to build a grow chamber over a fish tank.

below will be an outside pic, an inside pic and a pic to demonstrate the humidity/fog level:

102_0052.jpg

102_0050.jpg

102_0053.jpg

Is that a sterilite tub. What size is it?

ill get that info for you soon.

Back