Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heating outdoor greenhouses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    Then you can't afford to heat a lowlanders greenhouse!
    The 'default' way of thinking for many (most?) about greenhouses is that if they can somehow afford the cheapest possible unit, then they're set for life. The reality, in the majority of the country, is far different from this mini-delusion.

Pineapple has a great climate but still can't cope with a minor issue (due to cost). Jimmy is giving away a greenhouse in mint condition because
    wish i had the means to keep it up but there is no way i can afford to keep it warm in the winter
    The reality for most people is that the real costs start after a greenhouse is erected...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    The 'default' way of thinking for many (most?) about greenhouses is that if they can somehow afford the cheapest possible unit, then they're set for life. The reality, in the majority of the country, is far different from this mini-delusion.

Pineapple has a great climate but still can't cope with a minor issue (due to cost). Jimmy is giving away a greenhouse in mint condition because The reality for most people is that the real costs start after a greenhouse is erected...
    Ron speaks the truth: acquiring the structure is only the first step of an ongoing commitment to finance the project. Folks who buy the cheapest possible greenhouse and expect to fork out "coffee money" sums for its upkeep and operation are in for a real shock. Its like adopting a dog or cat and thinking you aren't going to have to spend anything on food and annual checkups/vaccinations at the vet. Think again. I don't mean to be rude or anything, but folks need to thoroughly investigate the cost of running a greenhouse for tropicals before they start such a project.

FYI, in my "mild" PNW climate, it still cost me between $500 and $700 last winter to properly heat a 9 X 12 foot highland Nepenthes house to meet minimum climate requirements. That is fuel costs alone, not including the propane heater itself, and fuel tanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I only have to pay for the initial cost. I am only 14, so my parents pay the electric bills and I just pay for the stuff itself.
    What other costs will i have to worry about? I have an RO/DI to make water. And I will heat it with an electric heater.
    So there are no other solutions than an electrician?

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must warn you that the electric rates for CA aren't that cheap... my family decided to go solar because the rates were so high (and this was before the GH was up and running). Unless someone you know knows how to deal with ampage...etc. then an electrician is the way to go unless you want to take the risk of a fuse blowing and shutting down the power.

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12