What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heating outdoor greenhouses

My terrarium is getting to look very small, so now I am planning on making a PVC greenhouse. The weather in my area is pretty mild year round, with lows at night in the lower 40's and highs in the low 90's. I wanted to make a lowland greenhouse outside for my collection, and have solved everything but this:
Where will I get outlets?
My dad says the outdoor outlets are all 24v AC, much too low for my purposes. I will be hooking up at least 3 humidifiers, plus a heater, and possibly some kinfd of house fan. I thought I could run a power strip inside the greenhouse and hook it up to the outdoor outlets, but the low voltage is going to be a problem. How should I go about this?

I would get a licensed electrition to run a main line into the greenhouse from your home's panel. (If you have the capacity remaining for it)

I'm in agreement with boxofrain on this: do it right, and hire an electrician.

Just a thought: can you run a quality extention cord from a higher volt outlet inside the house (if you have one)? Otherwise, an electrician is probably a good idea.

I personally would also look into other methods not requiring electricity. For example, raise humidity using several trays of water and half submerged rocks (which increases evaporation rate), and/or hosing down the floor of the greenhouse a couple times a day. I personally couldn't stand the thought of running humidifiers all the time and always having to refill them. But maybe that's just me ;)

Although there may be a outlet nearby, I'd go with what everyone else says and hire an electrician to see to it. You wouldn't want the outlet to short out on a below 30*F night.

The weather in my area is pretty mild year round, with lows at night in the lower 40's and highs in the low 90's. I wanted to make a lowland greenhouse outside for my collection
I would consult with some other folks w/ greenhouses in your area (ie: Brokken), I suspect (& may be wrong) that the amount of heat required to keep a greenhouse in LL conditions is quite significant.

I need a heater at night because I need really warm temps. About 30* higher than outside the greenhouse.
I can't hire an electrician because that would cost cash, and i have to pay for it. I can't afford to splurge $300 on an electrician job.

Then you can't afford to heat a lowlanders greenhouse!
The 'default' way of thinking for many (most?) about greenhouses is that if they can somehow afford the cheapest possible unit, then they're set for life. The reality, in the majority of the country, is far different from this mini-delusion.

Pineapple has a great climate but still can't cope with a minor issue (due to cost). Jimmy is giving away a greenhouse in mint condition because
wish i had the means to keep it up but there is no way i can afford to keep it warm in the winter
The reality for most people is that the real costs start after a greenhouse is erected...

The 'default' way of thinking for many (most?) about greenhouses is that if they can somehow afford the cheapest possible unit, then they're set for life. The reality, in the majority of the country, is far different from this mini-delusion.

Pineapple has a great climate but still can't cope with a minor issue (due to cost). Jimmy is giving away a greenhouse in mint condition because The reality for most people is that the real costs start after a greenhouse is erected...

Ron speaks the truth: acquiring the structure is only the first step of an ongoing commitment to finance the project. Folks who buy the cheapest possible greenhouse and expect to fork out "coffee money" sums for its upkeep and operation are in for a real shock. Its like adopting a dog or cat and thinking you aren't going to have to spend anything on food and annual checkups/vaccinations at the vet. Think again. I don't mean to be rude or anything, but folks need to thoroughly investigate the cost of running a greenhouse for tropicals before they start such a project.

FYI, in my "mild" PNW climate, it still cost me between $500 and $700 last winter to properly heat a 9 X 12 foot highland Nepenthes house to meet minimum climate requirements. That is fuel costs alone, not including the propane heater itself, and fuel tanks.

Well, I only have to pay for the initial cost. I am only 14, so my parents pay the electric bills and I just pay for the stuff itself.
What other costs will i have to worry about? I have an RO/DI to make water. And I will heat it with an electric heater.
So there are no other solutions than an electrician?

I must warn you that the electric rates for CA aren't that cheap... my family decided to go solar because the rates were so high (and this was before the GH was up and running). Unless someone you know knows how to deal with ampage...etc. then an electrician is the way to go unless you want to take the risk of a fuse blowing and shutting down the power.

Back