Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heating outdoor greenhouses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heating outdoor greenhouses

My terrarium is getting to look very small, so now I am planning on making a PVC greenhouse. The weather in my area is pretty mild year round, with lows at night in the lower 40's and highs in the low 90's. I wanted to make a lowland greenhouse outside for my collection, and have solved everything but this:
    Where will I get outlets?
    My dad says the outdoor outlets are all 24v AC, much too low for my purposes. I will be hooking up at least 3 humidifiers, plus a heater, and possibly some kinfd of house fan. I thought I could run a power strip inside the greenhouse and hook it up to the outdoor outlets, but the low voltage is going to be a problem. How should I go about this?

does this rag smell like chloroform to you? boxofrain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would get a licensed electrition to run a main line into the greenhouse from your home's panel. (If you have the capacity remaining for it)
    "the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in agreement with boxofrain on this: do it right, and hire an electrician.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a thought: can you run a quality extention cord from a higher volt outlet inside the house (if you have one)? Otherwise, an electrician is probably a good idea.

I personally would also look into other methods not requiring electricity. For example, raise humidity using several trays of water and half submerged rocks (which increases evaporation rate), and/or hosing down the floor of the greenhouse a couple times a day. I personally couldn't stand the thought of running humidifiers all the time and always having to refill them. But maybe that's just me
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...29#post1089429

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although there may be a outlet nearby, I'd go with what everyone else says and hire an electrician to see to it. You wouldn't want the outlet to short out on a below 30*F night.

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asid61 View Post
    The weather in my area is pretty mild year round, with lows at night in the lower 40's and highs in the low 90's. I wanted to make a lowland greenhouse outside for my collection
    I would consult with some other folks w/ greenhouses in your area (ie: Brokken), I suspect (& may be wrong) that the amount of heat required to keep a greenhouse in LL conditions is quite significant.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need a heater at night because I need really warm temps. About 30* higher than outside the greenhouse.
    I can't hire an electrician because that would cost cash, and i have to pay for it. I can't afford to splurge $300 on an electrician job.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asid61 View Post
    I can't afford to splurge $300 on an electrician job.
    Then you can't afford to heat a lowlanders greenhouse!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast