Thread: Mini bog help?

Totally clueless... Fish n Plants's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mini bog help?

Hey all,

New to this forum, so a little background info first: I was really into carnivorous plants about a year ago, but then I got interested in planted aquariums and the plants were neglected. The only plant that survived my abuse is a wimpy Sarracenia leucophylla x oreophila

Anyways, I'm interested in getting back into the hobby with a mini bog. If I used a half wine barrel, would I need some sort of liner between the soil and wood? Also, do I need drainage holes? Any advice would be really helpful!

Thanks!
    Last edited by Fish n Plants; 09-29-2012 at 07:20 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to TF.

I think lining it with plastic would be a good idea as the wood would break down with being constantly wet from the soil. For drainage, I would drill a few holes around the sides several inches from the bottom (depending on how tall the barrel is). This will help keep the bog from flooding during periods of rain. For watering, you could put a PVC pipe that goes to the bottom and comes up above the top of the soil. This makes it easy to check the water level also. You want to keep the bog moist, but not sloppy wet.

Others may post with better methods/ideas that have worked for them, this is just how I do it. Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the response! Could you explain the PVC pipe more? Would I pour water into the tube? And how would water get in/out of the tube?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put the PVC pipe (2-1/2" outside diameter) down against the side, some put it in the middle. I pour water into the PVC. Some drill holes around the bottom of the PVC to water faster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, got it. One more question, I read that some people put a layer of sand or gravel on the bottom to help with drainage or something. Does this actually help or am I better off using a peat/sand mixture for the whole thing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone have any recommendations for plant selection? These are the plants I'm sure I want so far:
    Sarracenia 'Judith Hindle'
    Some other pitcher plants
    Various Venus fly trap types
    Some sort of sundew

Is it possible to grow Drosera capensis outdoors year-round in zone 9a?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No need to put sand at the bottom, your mix is fine; peat/sand or can use peat/perlite.

Any sarracenia will do well outside in the barrel bog year-round, along with VFT, Drosera intermedia, capillaris, filiformis, any of the temperate dews. Temperate Pinguicula will also do well such as P. grandifolia, P. macroceras, and possibly P. primulifolia in zone 9a (but not sure).

I live in zone 8 and grow D. capensis year-round in my in-ground bog. They die completely back on top, but come back in spring from the roots. As long as the roots don't freeze, they will start growing leaves in spring. In your climate, the mass and depth of your barrel bog should protect the roots from freezing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome thanks! Once the bog is built I'll post some pictures

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast