What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New GH project

pull an all nighter, genius.
Thanks for teaching me how to build walls though.
super easy..

ill be watching closely.... plan to build my own greenhouse around this time next year. definitely wont be making it that tall as heating and cooling it up here in Mass would be a pain in the butt, specifically my back pocket :p

you are going to have sooo much room in there :D

Oh yeah well here its going to be 6mil plastic. I can't afford the poly yet. That's the good thing about living in the south. I can get away with 6mill two layers. And temps stay fine. My current GH only has one layer.

Ahh yes, well....6 mil is a different story. Much cheaper! Go for it!

we need like 8-10mil up here just because of the winds. Let alone the cold weather..
must.. be.. nice..

sweet work JB. looking forward to seeing you fill that puppy up!

25 or 30 degree roof would be fine in my opinion,it will also be a hell of alot easier to work on ,you gonna leave an air gap between the two layers of plastic for much better insulation?great project jb

Yes going to add the air pump gap as soon as I can.

Mass. 6 mil is all I can find here at Lowes. Corky water stands on the plastic very early. So need to make sure it has good slope for drainage. But def don't need a 45.

I'm still battling with the idea of shortening it to 6.5 foot walls. It is a battle because of heating and cooling also easy of build.

Rather than shorter walls, why not just make lower rafters? Once you're finished with the structure you can add additional beams to hang things from that you can reach. All the space above can just be vining room or a place for summer heat to collect away from your plants. Better to have that space than not, I think.

That's what I keep fighting myself with. Do I cut it do I leave. Was thinking about going to 6.5 foot walls. Idk I'm indecisive becausr I've never been in this Predicament before.

The only thing about leaving it 8 foot is there would definitely be excess room even if the vine I think. I didn't realize how tall 8 foot was till it was built.

Hmm... I'm still wondering what height you should put it at but to be honest I've never really had an issue with Nepenthes viners running out of room. Once they hit the top of the GH they'll keep on scrambling along and grappling onto the roof nooks which adds a nice jungle affect ;).

OK so I decided to shorten the walls a little. I settled on 6.5'.

20121023_175550.jpg

As you can see a good distance. Took me a good bit to get supports in and studs cut to size.

Here you can see I'm finished with shirtening process.

20121023_183239.jpg

Here you can see I've finished adding the wall braces for support. Hard to believe these make a world of difference with stability. Might add a few more before its all said and done.

20121023_191544.jpg

Here I added my first ridge support. Only to notice this is too short.

20121023_200805.jpg

My slope would have been really bill with this. Wouldn't be that bad in SC if I was using pollycarb panels. But I'm using plastics sheeting. So I needed at least a 30° slope like suggested by a forum member. So that's what I did.

20121023_211736.jpg

I raised the roof beam. Now keep in mind this is a 16' 2x4. Not an easy task to do solo, but it was done and now off to cutting the rafters.

So with having to work the next day I couldn't pull another all nighter. I could only work till about 11 or so. Here are the results.

20121023_225757.jpg

20121023_230432.jpg

I can hardly wait till the next day to work on it. I need more lumber. I'm short one roof rafter and door material. I plan on keeping the 4' door. Well just shy of 4'. I need to add headers under the ridge beam support to keep it from sagging over time. Can never have too many supports. I want to be able to hang from the rafters like my current GH. And I'm a 260lbs guy.

I'm very happy with the progress so far. I wish is wasn't going as slow and I could work on it more, but such is life and it will get done. :)

I think you are making good progress! And I think you will be glad you reduced the wall height ;-)

Oh yeah I kept thinking how hard it could be to reach covering it and working in it. This gives me size and is more manageable

Last edited:
Looks great! Can't wait to see how it fills up.....

you might be a redneck if you think Hunny BooBoo is what happened to the wife when she cut her finger,
skinning and gutting the deer you brung her. :-)).
This is inspiring me to try a greenhouse her in my new location, somethig a bit smaller though .
thanks for the work Josh , im watching, and may swipe a few of your ideas hope you dont mind.

At this point it looks nice :) cant wait the final result.

dang. going all out..

Travis, I had to sacrifice and rush with my first here. So since I've moved plants and crammed hem in small GH I can finish the new one. I can hardly wait till its finished!!! Going to be awesome.

Jimmy its basic framework. Took a few shortcuts. But if I didn't want people to use ideas then I wouldn't have posted step by step. ;-) be my guest and help yourself. Have questions ask my friend.

Dyzio I can hardly wait too!

Keith! Your not the only one! Idk if I'll know what to do with all the room! Wait I do....Tony!!!! I'll need more plants! Ha ha ha.

20121031_143323.jpg

Rafters finished and braced. Walls braced and two foot studs put in for the lower wall. Extra braces put in to sure up sturdiness. Will add some supports for upper walls on front and back walls.

Back