User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: watering NEPS while on VACATION (2 weeks)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

watering NEPS while on VACATION (2 weeks)

I came here hoping to find some ideas on how to water a collection of nepenthes while away for two weeks. The plants are indoors and will not be sitting in trays (though they could be) but most likely will be raised. I was looking into creating a temporary drip system or rain sprinkler system on a timer but have only begun a little research. I am not trying to spend a bunch of money or sell my entire collection. Any clues or simple ideas besides ASK A FRIEND?
    Thanks

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With your PVC skills, you should be able to make a really nice drip system on the cheap side.

Here's the best thread on how to do it right: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...er!&highlight=

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the tray system always worked for me.. my neps have never cared about sitting in a tray of water. Even helps to induce basal production. As long as you have good airflow, shouldn't be a problem. As long as the trays don't try up..

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mass View Post
    the tray system always worked for me.. my neps have never cared about sitting in a tray of water. Even helps to induce basal production. As long as you have good airflow, shouldn't be a problem. As long as the trays don't try up..
    Mass, may I ask how high the water level is in your trays and how high the shortest pots are? I have to water the crap out of my plants because the sphag dries out, but I have 100% excellent air flow in the greenhouse and my plants have been kept not moist, but wet, for the entire time I've had them. I really want to try the tray method with a few, but I don't want to induce root rot. Do you have any tips to avoid root rot, or any special things you do when you put neps in trays of water? Any species I should avoid doing this to?

Thanks!