What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Divaskid's Dewy Paludarium Build & Picture Updates

Very nice, it's cool to see it greening up. It will surely be a dew paradise in no time!

this should turn out real nice,that u.gibba is loving it

I am severly inspired by your progress! I have to try this now. I have an old 10 gal. tank collecting dust that might make a good micro. Thanks for sharing!

Starting to fill in quite nicely!

Thanks Everyone! :-D

A view of the the tank today (sorry phone pic)
986B3EAA-0D7D-4CE5-8961-8875BF558F6B-18811-000013E26A427883_zpsd8c9b51a.jpg

DSC_4859_zps791bfc5a.jpg

Its official, they really are nepenthes seedlings :) And happy ones too!

DSC_4863_zps15b1ab6a.jpg

unknown ping loving his new home.

It's coming to life! Looks really REALLY cool..

The new ping looks real happy. Didn't miss a beat.....

Awesome project. Looks really great now that its greening up. Anything would would have done different?

Hmmm things I would've done differently. Let see, I would have sprung for a better tank instead of one that was lying around in the backyard. Because it was old it has build up on the glass that I just couldn't remove and now its an eye sore and bothers me every time I look into the tank. It also makes it difficult to take any decent pictures through the filmy glass.

I would also probably pick a bigger size tank (maybe 120 gal?) because even though the sundews are perfect for it, the pings seem to be almost too big for this size and I'd like to add more pings since they're so easy to grow in the tank. But that would be something of a luxury to have a tank that size ;)

I would also sterilize all the rocks before putting it in the tank. The ferns that are growing in there are a constant chore to weed. I think this would have been prevented if I just sterilized before hand.

The last thing I would change is I probably wouldn't have added the U. praelonga. I can see now that it'll be an issue eventually. If it was a different utricularia with smaller leaves I don't think it would be such an issue, but because these leaves are so big I think eventually it'll over grow the sundews.

But all in all I think everything is working really well, these are only minor things really :)

Last edited:
Full view of the tank.
DSC_4906_zps007ea6c4.jpg

DSC_4908_zps2e77de90.jpg

The big ping with the purple flowers in this picture is growing like crazy!! It keeps flowering and has about 6 babies popping up around it. I've never had one of these grow this well for me before.

DSC_4909_zpsf3484d62.jpg

Little sundews everywhere, some to small to see in the pic. Eventually when they get bigger it'll be a field of dew :D

DSC_4904_zpsf57649b1.jpg

:bigthumpup:looks natural,love it

Nice job! Looks really well :D

Hmmm things I would've done differently. Let see, I would have sprung for a better tank instead of one that was lying around in the backyard. Because it was old it has build up on the glass that I just couldn't remove and now its an eye sore and bothers me every time I look into the tank. It also makes it difficult to take any decent pictures through the filmy glass.

I would also probably pick a bigger size tank (maybe 120 gal?) because even though the sundews are perfect for it, the pings seem to be almost too big for this size and I'd like to add more pings since they're so easy to grow in the tank. But that would be something of a luxury to have a tank that size ;)

I would also sterilize all the rocks before putting it in the tank. The ferns that are growing in there are a constant chore to weed. I think this would have been prevented if I just sterilized before hand.

The last thing I would change is I probably wouldn't have added the U. praelonga. I can see now that it'll be an issue eventually. If it was a different utricularia with smaller leaves I don't think it would be such an issue, but because these leaves are so big I think eventually it'll over grow the sundews.

But all in all I think everything is working really well, these are only minor things really :)

Thanks for sharing. I was in the middle of building a ceph tank similar to this before I moved. I still haven't gotten around to building it again yet, but I was using an old tank as well. I'll scratch that idea.

Sterilization is also something I would have over-looked. I'll put that on the "must do" list as well.

I'm going to dig out my stuff and get started now that I've picked your brain. I still like the smaller tank idea which member RSS has had some amazing results growing. Super inspiring. I have a feeling we will see more of these pop up!

Jcal, I can't wait to see how yours turns out! :) Let me know when you post pictures, I'd love to see other's tanks.

I haven't taken pics of this set up in a while so I thought I'd share how its been doing.

Overview

Pings

Utric flowers

U. gibba in the pond area

Sundew

This is my favorite part of the tank right now, the nepenthes seedlings. This particular one is twice as big as any of my others that I'm growing in the shade house. If it wasn't so difficult to remove them and put them in pots later down the line, I'd grow all of my seedlings this way!

The pond area is interesting. Do you have a pump to circulate water and/or how you keep the moss etc. fresh and anti-moldy :)

It's hard to tell in the pic but the whole left hand side is a pond and it has a big rock that has a hole in it sitting in the pond. I used a small aquarium pump in that area to pump the water up and down the rock making a little waterfall. So everything in the system is circulating.

I can't explain why nothing is getting moldy other than its mimicking nature in there somehow.

Back