Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm such a nerd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm such a nerd

Some of you may find this interesting, some of you might find it somewhat overly nerdy; but I thought it was kind of interesting.

I'm a software developer by trade and have started playing around with microprocessors and the like and recently purchased an Arduino and a bunch of electronic parts to go along with it. So I thought I'd combine that with my interest in carnivorous plants and create a temperature/humidity sensor system to record for me the trends of the temp/humidity levels in my terrarium. I only let it run (thus far) over night, but I plan to let it continue running for the next week to get some good statistical sampling.

At any rate, for those who are interested in the climate of my terrarium, here is a graph of last night's events. I'm going to credit the momentary spikes in humidity levels to noise inherent to the sensor itself. Nonetheless, the trends are obvious: as the temperature decreases, the humidity increases (not linearly either, which is interesting to me). My hope is to try to match the curves I find in each terrarium to a particular environment so I can shuffle the plants into their appropriate terrariums (Aussie plants go into the Aussie tank, South Africans go into the South African tank). My guess is someplace like weather underground will give me historical stats for the environments I'm interested in.

Anyway..here's the graph I'm working with so far.

plot by kwende.rush1, on Flickr

For those who are interested, I can supply the source code and the electrical diagrams I'm working with.

Totally clueless... Fish n Plants's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's pretty interesting! You could probably also program things like "thunderstorms" with the Arduino.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're not too far off. I had thought of basically hooking up the Arduino to weather underground and controlling the "weather" of the terrarium to match what's happening in their native habitat. That's a bit of a pipedream, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice! It'll be interesting to see the set of data over about a month. Should get rid of that spike youre talking about and possibly make it more linear.
    Did you open up the terrarium at all during this time period?

Power to the nerds!
    ~Michelle (AKA Geva or Jennifer)

Grow/Trade List

Picture Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I think it'll be interesting to see how it behaves over a period of time.

And no, the terrarium was kept closed the entire time. Unfortunately I don't have an on-board clock so I can't correspond it to time of day; but I figure it'll still give me worthwhile information.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been thinking of doing something similar. My boss set up something similar to remotely monitor his freezers. He has a web page that updates itself and it will send him a text message if the temp goes above a certain limit. He lost about $300 in beef, good Nebraska beef by the way, when his son left the door to the freezer open one summer morning. All the code is there, just need to take the time and do it. I think it would cool to build a couple and look to see if there are any micro climate differences between shelve on the grow rack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwende View Post
    You're not too far off. I had thought of basically hooking up the Arduino to weather underground and controlling the "weather" of the terrarium to match what's happening in their native habitat. That's a bit of a pipedream, though.
    That would be VERY interesting!
    If you shake a rain stick, you get rain. I need a hamata stick.
    My WWWs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...29#post1089429

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast