Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greenhouse ice alert.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greenhouse ice alert.

Hi peeps,I was wondering if anyone new a affordable way to have sometype of alarm to warn you of greenhouse temp. dropping to low.(freeze)
    Reason I ask this is I use a small elctric space heater to heat my small 8x6x8 in the winter.It works great for me and I also have a small propane heater just in case the power goes off,but I have to manually turn it on.I use a Oregon Scientific thermometer that I can read what the temp. is from inside my house,works great.It also has a ice alert warning on the display,a very small green light flashes when I think it drops to 37.But the problem is if your not starring at it you'll never know,and may be to late.Last night the GFI triped and I didnt cacth it intill the greenhouse was 41 luckly my wife noticed the temp on the display .So how can I get a alarm/sound of some type?I thought about taking the little green light that flashes and somehow wire that to a speaker instead of the light.I looked all over and cant find a cheap way to do this.Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions or product that I can use so I can sleep at night and not have to worry about freeze temps.thanks for any advice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I remember an episode of macgyver that was the opposite of this.

If ya get a bin of water, with a high enough ion content (need to be the right type of ion) to make it conductive, ya can rig up an LED with some batteries and have the conductive water be part of the circut. When the water freezes, light goes off. When it is thawed, it is on.

BOOM! Freeze sensor!

*Note*

This probably won't work...
    <Av8tor1> as big as peat is, the bear runs not him

Big Boss, Founder, and Major Cheese of the Canadian Association for the Cultivation of Carnivorous Plants... Ask if you want to join, I'm the only member...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I remember an episode of macgyver that was the opposite of this.
    Hey,you dont have to be a smart ***!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A TempAlert greenhouse alarm connected to a Radio Shack piezo speaker, which can be heard from a hundred yards away, easily. The whole thing cost me under a hundred dollars, which is negligible if you want to protect a greenhouse whose contents have value.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought one of those little indoor outdoor digital thermometers for about $20 a while back and it had a built in alarm you cat set for whatever temp you want.. I don't know what the range is on one though.... I bet you could set it up with a baby monitor though to increase the range -- have the alarm portion near the reciver so you can hear it in the house?? maybe too low tech though, lol..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Attachment 1961Well I went to radio shack and hour later,i have this.Since I already had the temp.thermometer I spent $3.95 on the piezo buzzer and did this.It works its not as loud ad I would like but if I went any bigger it would possibly damage the unit.Thanks whim.and lizardom for your help.
    Last edited by thelarge; 12-31-2012 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Wrong pic.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    guess I should ask the obvious..
    Do you not have a thermostat controlling that space heater? If so, you should only have to worry about power outages. In which case they do make power failure alarms that sound when the power goes out.
    Personally, I'd pick up a nice thermostat that controls day and night temps. Plug my space heater into that.. Then I'd just add a power failure alarm to the line for easing my worries of black outs.

p.S.. is that lady friend of yours going to order enough food for all of us, or... ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thnk he does have it on a thermostat, but the GFCI tripped, and cut power.
    If you shake a rain stick, you get rain. I need a hamata stick.
    My WWWs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast