What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aphids in my terrarium. How to fix this?

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
Howdy. I suddenly have an aphid infestation (must have gotten it from some new plants I ordered back in November) in my indoor terrarium. They are mostly going for my Heliamphora but I suspect everything in my terrarium may have a bite or two.

What is the best aphid control I can use in an indoor terrarium that I could purchase at Lowes or Home Depot?

I use Provado by Bayer, it is systemic, works quickly and I have never had any problem with it. I use mine predominantly outdoors, so it should clear up your terrarium in no time at all, and being systemic it catches any stragglers that you didnt spray and any that hatch after you sprayed.

Good luck and cheers
Steve

Although I've never done this personally, some people seal off their terrarium with dry ice in it. The CO2 will kill all living things except plants. I would do some reading first, though.

Although I've never done this personally, some people seal off their terrarium with dry ice in it. The CO2 will kill all living things except plants. I would do some reading first, though.

I thought about doing this with an ant problem I had but dry ice is apparently kind of expensive and if it doesn't kill all the aphids, they will reproduce again. aphids are apparently born pregnant which means I need to kill all of them.

All I can suggest is getting Neem Oil for a slow but effective death or immersing individual pots in water for a couple days.

Back