Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Evaporative Cooling for the Summer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Evaporative Cooling for the Summer

Hey guys am looking for a small evaporative cooler for a 8x6 greenhouse that I recently received. The temps around here during summer are about 100 and we have a generally low humidity year round. Thanks in advance!

jrmc114064

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend an AC for an 8 x 6. A lot a lot easier.
    Brennan
    My growlist: http://bit.ly/VUE0ri

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wooo that sucker is gonna get hot if your Summer temps are around 100! Low humidity will certainly help with evaporative cooling. An AC unit would work but I can't imagine how big it would need to be or the electric bill to run it..

The next question is, what do you plan to put in it?? What temperature range are you trying to maintain You really need to think through these things in order to understand the equipment needed to make it happen. However, keep in mind an 8 x 6 greenhouse is going to be difficult to work with. It is not really big enough to accommodate the equipment necessary to provide a stable environment in your extreme heat environment. Especially if you are trying to provide an environment that is considerably altered from your natural environment.

But if you really want to give it a try..
    First thing I would do is get some Aluminet shade cloth if you don't have any yet. It is supposed to be very helpful in reducing heat by reflecting light. I would also recommend some sort of a fogging system for within the greenhouse. You are going to need to move alot of air through it to help keep the temperatures manageable and that will be very drying to the environment. High pressure systems are best as they do a great job of humidifying and cooling without soaking everything constantly. For evaporative cooling if you feel you need to reduce the temperatures even further, then one of those external units with the wet pads and the through wall exhaust would do nicely. Something like this..http://www.charleysgreenhouse.com/C6...fm--1-8-hp.htm
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't currently grow in a greenhouse, but everyone here who does have one uses the wet walls where water trickles over aspen pads. The wall plus fans set up about halfway down the length of the greenhouse provide fairly decent cooling, even in 90-100+ summer temps and 80+% humdity. I would imagine one would be even more effective where humidity is low.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need the temps around 80-85 for some neps and cephs. Am ordering a shade cloth as well. The only thing I have for air circulation is a 470 cfm booster fan which I have ducking for...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I think you can achieve that with evaporative cooling if your outside humidity is consistently low. Not sure what your budget is but you are probably finding out that a greenhouse is not expensive. It's the equipment and cost to run it that add up. A decent evaporative cooling system is going to be fairly expensive. I am sure you can find something less expensive than the example in my link above, but it most likely will not give the results you are looking for. Maybe you can get by with a misting/fogging system and an exhaust fan along with the shade cloth? Worth a try I guess. Good luck with your project!
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was thinking of buying either the evaporative cooler or a misting system involving a resovir of RO water that is pumped to the misting hoses and have a fan to periodically circulate the air. Both are probably the same price but which would be better to cool down the GH.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Api View Post
    I would recommend an AC for an 8 x 6. A lot a lot easier.
    Posted by someone who probably has never had to pay electric bills ... LOL

Quote Originally Posted by jrmc114064 View Post
    Was thinking of buying either the evaporative cooler or a misting system involving a resovir of RO water that is pumped to the misting hoses and have a fan to periodically circulate the air. Both are probably the same price but which would be better to cool down the GH.
    When looking at any of the systems that use water, get an estimated usage. I suspect that it will be much higher than your RO can handle ...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast