Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Huntington Botanical Gardens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Huntington Botanical Gardens

I figured since most of this was in a conservatory it would count to be in this section but let me know if I'm wrong. The Huntington Botanical Gardens in Pasadena CA are pretty sweet. Anyone who has the chance to go should absolutely! They have a great collection of plants. Sadly a few of the nepenthes didn't have any nice new pitchers to show off but other than that the collection was really fun to check out. Hope you guys enjoy!
    Here are some shots from the conservatory. There was a lowland forest section as well as a highland cloud forest room and to my delight also a nepenthes/ orchid greenhouse behind the scenes! The last one is closed to the public but I think one of the employees could smell my enthusiasm and took me for a 3 minute tour despite being in a hurry. I'm going to hopefully volunteer in the near future so there will be more photos to come. All taken on my Girl's point and shoot. Enough talk.
    N. Belii

this one was during my 3 min tour so I could only snap one shot through foliage sorry for the quality, N. ?

Some moss:

Ventricosa turning over a new leaf!

Also not sure what this one is:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought this was cool: two tendrils wrapping around each other looks like it caused one to open prematurely

Mold? Pests?

They had a bog room too!

Capensis!

Ping!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some sort of orchid

Tilly

The most intact pitcher of N. "balmy Koto" it was a huge 15ft vine that was flowering with tons of dried pitchers but not one was green

Also the best looking N. Lowii... the highlanders in this corner weren't doing too great pitcher-wise

This was cool

I have a bunch more photos of orchids and other cool non CP plants if anyone is interested. Thanks for looking, I hope someone enjoyed this. Cheers

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pretty cool place..

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I'm ever back in LA I will make a point of visiting. Thanks for the thread, East_to_west.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm (hopefully) going to be a volunteer there and perhaps I can arrange a behind the scenes look at the nepenthes/orchid greenhouse if anyone wanted to cruise over there at some point. There are only a few carnivorous plants in the public display but I was lucky enough to catch someone in a good mood to show me some of the rest of it. I guess they have a few greenhouses dedicated to just neps and orchids. The small portion of it that I saw was awesome so I'm stoked to see the rest and get involved. Apparently every once in a while the LACPS holds a meeting there as well. If anybody is interested I can find out if its a possibility.