What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Techno Greenhouse :awesome:

BioZest

zesty.
Hey guys!

While I was mindlessly roving throughout the internet I came across this:super automated greenhouse. It's a really interesting article about these guys who are trying to make an automated greenhouse using sensors and Arduino. For those of you who don't know, Arduino is basically a cheap, super programmable computer used with many DIY projects. Has anyone else seen anything like this? let me know.

PS. sorry about the name, I thought that it would put the smily there.

Would LOVE to have some equiptment like that for the right price...I don't want to have to make it myself though unless it's relatively simple, as I don't really have a mind for electronics and stuff.

Yah I mess around a bit with an Arduino...nothing close to what these guys are doing. It would be awesome have some of that technology in your disposal. You could grow anything!

I love this idea of creating my own system. The only small scale complete system I have found so far is ecozone.

@Jcal I just checked them out. Thats pretty cool. This project, though, is open source so that everyone can see the code. While an integrated approach like ecozone uses provides a very streamlined user experience, doing it open source has a lot of benefits also. For example you could write code to make it connect to twitter and have the plants tweet when they need to be watered or you could add different types of sensors to monitor nitrogen content of the air or anything...thats what makes Arduino cool. You can make it do almost anything.

@Bio: Thanks for sharing this info. While I don't currently have a greenhouse, I do plan to have one soon after relocating and it will absolutely have environmental monitoring & control systems. I've got to lose most of the manual tasks so I can get back to spending most of my time enjoying the plants (observing, experimenting, propagating, etc). I knew that the systems were out there but I wasn't aware that there were less expensive, open source options available.

You're very welcome. I don't have a greenhouse, but I would love to someday. The project currently has a kickstarter to raise funds for building one of these systems.

I would use PLC, they have been the standard for industrial process control for decades.
Prices start pretty cheap, and the programming is simple ladder logic with inputs and outputs.
If you really wanted to get fancy you could do a PID loop.... but that is overkill for a greenhouse imho

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc...&type=search&gclid=CIfHhsfbs7UCFe9aMgod3W8A0w

but ive worked with them for years, so they naturally come to mind....

Last edited:
I think that Arduino is the better choice outside of the realm of industrial uses. They start at around thirty bucks and the programming is easy to learn and use. For projects like this you shouldn't even have to program at all. The kits should be preloaded with software

Just depends on the person really... I would prefer PLC ladder logic and with closed loop feedback.
Nice that there are plenty of options available.... and more being developed.

I just read the website and it seems a lot better that I thought at first. Seems like you can get some decent automation for far less than $100. Aniyone join the kick starter? I just got excited about this.

One thing I do not like about this is that all of your controls are accessed through their website which means you have to have a subscription....that kinda sucks. I would rather have full access to controls without the need of their website or even a Internet connection for that matter.

Last edited:
I just read the website and it seems a lot better that I thought at first. Seems like you can get some decent automation for far less than $100. Aniyone join the kick starter? I just got excited about this.

One thing I do not like is this is that all of your controls are accessed through their website which means you have to have a subscription....that kinda sucks. I would rather have full access to controls without the need of their website or even a Internet connection for that matter.

Isn't the subscription free though, at least? I personally take no issue with it if the subscription is free; but I can understand your view.

Isn't the subscription free though, at least? I personally take no issue with it if the subscription is free; but I can understand your view.

I've read through the kick starter packages and the equipment is the same in most of the packages. It's confusing on what drives the price up. I guess an email to the site will clear that up for me.

thats so cool i wish my grow chamber was like that

niiiice but unless i am growing some very profitable crops I don't think i would ever go that far. That being said it is nice to see someone that is....things like this usually inspire other things.

Back