Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Techno Greenhouse :awesome:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Techno Greenhouse :awesome:

Hey guys!

While I was mindlessly roving throughout the internet I came across this:super automated greenhouse. It's a really interesting article about these guys who are trying to make an automated greenhouse using sensors and Arduino. For those of you who don't know, Arduino is basically a cheap, super programmable computer used with many DIY projects. Has anyone else seen anything like this? let me know.

PS. sorry about the name, I thought that it would put the smily there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would LOVE to have some equiptment like that for the right price...I don't want to have to make it myself though unless it's relatively simple, as I don't really have a mind for electronics and stuff.
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...29#post1089429

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yah I mess around a bit with an Arduino...nothing close to what these guys are doing. It would be awesome have some of that technology in your disposal. You could grow anything!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love this idea of creating my own system. The only small scale complete system I have found so far is ecozone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Jcal I just checked them out. Thats pretty cool. This project, though, is open source so that everyone can see the code. While an integrated approach like ecozone uses provides a very streamlined user experience, doing it open source has a lot of benefits also. For example you could write code to make it connect to twitter and have the plants tweet when they need to be watered or you could add different types of sensors to monitor nitrogen content of the air or anything...thats what makes Arduino cool. You can make it do almost anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Bio: Thanks for sharing this info. While I don't currently have a greenhouse, I do plan to have one soon after relocating and it will absolutely have environmental monitoring & control systems. I've got to lose most of the manual tasks so I can get back to spending most of my time enjoying the plants (observing, experimenting, propagating, etc). I knew that the systems were out there but I wasn't aware that there were less expensive, open source options available.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're very welcome. I don't have a greenhouse, but I would love to someday. The project currently has a kickstarter to raise funds for building one of these systems.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would use PLC, they have been the standard for industrial process control for decades.
    Prices start pretty cheap, and the programming is simple ladder logic with inputs and outputs.
    If you really wanted to get fancy you could do a PID loop.... but that is overkill for a greenhouse imho

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/...Fe9aMgod3W8A0w

but ive worked with them for years, so they naturally come to mind....
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 02-13-2013 at 09:48 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast