Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Varying light frequencies with LEDs

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was wondering how your plants were responding. Any noticeable change?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreenhouse View Post
    LED is the new light of the plant industry future. You all have to give it a try. and when your really start getting into fancy setups, you see extreme growth and reaction. I deal with this company and have seen extreme growth in both planted and marine aquaria. I grow mangroves at the shop with these lights.http://www.aquaillumination.com/
    AI is not a very good company. They use old leds that are overpriced. Although teh programming in the AI vega is pretty cool with lightning and stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made an led lighting controller for dawn and dusk effects in aquariums using Arduino. Combined with my terrarium controller you could do everything for about $40.

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a quick update:

The plants have been responding very well to the LEDs. Albeit, I have realized that I must now be careful when positioning certain species in the brighter areas of the shelf, due to the intensity of the lights. Recently, I had two macrophylla turn slightly yellow due to the light intensity, and are now in a shadier spot where I will gradually acclimate them to the photo levels. When acclimated, however, Nepenthes appreciate more intense light than many of us realize, and will respond with vigor once adjustments have been made.

Almost immediately after adding the additional lights, four or five plants switched to internodal growth and colors became deeper and more noticeable. A few species of Sphagnum have expressed a motley array of colors, instead of the lime green I had become used to.

And although it's difficult to find the correlation when considering other factors, growth seems quicker for the plants as a whole. Since I lack the proper tools to measure stomatal conductance, attributing this to the introduction of lower light frequencies during the morning and evening hours would be presumptive; however, when considering even the most basic aspects of plant physiology, it would make sense to hypothesize positive changes in regards to plant health, rather than negative.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you purchase your LED's online?

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, from Wistuba. He had them custom built from some company in China.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all I want to say, many of the shop is selling Chinese LED light red and blue, but a lot of people say that there is no effect, plant or avoid excessive growth, but I think of the power they light is not enough, I also use the LED lamp for a period of time, the feeling can also be, but the night opened the LED lamp some terrorist. \r\n

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mato, did they tell you what the wavelengths are on both the red and blue LEDs? Since Wistuba really knows his stuff had them custom made I would imagine they're what plants need...but I am still curious.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast