Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: recommended reverse osmosis systems

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Av8tor1 View Post
    But if you do as I do and use your RO for ice maker and kitchen use, you must* use the bladder tank...
    (*you could use a pump and solenoid valve, but I prefer the tank)
    I also have pressurized RO lines running to my grow chamber and aquarium.

It all depends on your needs and expectations...
    Yes, I think to bring about more practicality to the rest of the family, getting something which can work for kitchen use, etc would be nice. I imagine the bladder tank bumps up the price a good amount?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Av8tor1 View Post
    But if you do as I do and use your RO for ice maker and kitchen use, you must* use the bladder tank...
    (*you could use a pump and solenoid valve, but I prefer the tank)
    I also have pressurized RO lines running to my grow chamber and aquarium.

It all depends on your needs and expectations...
    av8tor1: good point, i was thinking of more of a dedicated ro system to cps as he hadnt mentioned possibly using using in the house.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the system I've been using for the past 3 years. 100 gpd

http://sunlightsupply.com/p-11962-hy...th-ro-100.aspx

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwende View Post
    Yes, I think to bring about more practicality to the rest of the family, getting something which can work for kitchen use, etc would be nice. I imagine the bladder tank bumps up the price a good amount?
    Not much, look for a recent post from "Mickey".... he just purchased a bladder tank system from a well known vendor.

If its in your budget I would also recommend a permeate pump upgrade, it increases the system efficiency and filter life dramatically. My system has been in use since 2006 and I'm still on the second membrane, and that is with daily household/CP use.

Please spend some time in the older threads on the subject, they will answer most of your questions and give you a much better understanding of the technology.

Spending a little more upfront saves quite a bit over the long haul.

300 would let you buy a setup functionally identical to mine easily, low 2's would be a good estimate.

Last edited by Av8tor1; 03-10-2013 at 09:29 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For CPs I think just about every RO unit on the market is overkill. I wish I could find a simple one. Here's what you need, in my opinion:

- a pre-filter to protect the membrane from chlorine
    - a membrane
    - a storage tank

That's it. Mine also has a post-filter but I consider it useless. I don't think I've ever changed it and it's just taking up space. After maybe 7 years I'm still getting around 14ppm and I've never changed the membrane, just the pre-filters.

EDIT: Though if you have particularly bad water, this won't be true. My tap water is 120ppm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonetc View Post
    EDIT: Though if you have particularly bad water, this won't be true. My tap water is 120ppm.
    Mine is about 200.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our tap is 167ppm before the RO machine (and stinks of sulfur), and 6ppm afterwards.
    We don't use it for just CP's, as it also produces our drinking water. Couldn't imagine not having one..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer to not drink demineralised water, so don't have a pressurised system. Instead, I have a simple setup consisting of a particulate pre-filter, RO membrane and carbon block post filter. I use this to fill storage containers. Cost me less that $100 and have been using it for the past couple of years with no issues.

Of course, a far cheaper way is to collect rainwater for watering plants, providing it rains frequently enough - which really isn't an issue here in Scotland!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast