User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My tropical terrarium and windowsill plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, everything looks great, looks like you're in need of a larger terrarium! Are you growing your ceph as a windowsill plant, or did you just move it for the picture?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Ceph is still on the Windowsill. It's just out of frame. It's even denser now but not too much different.

Yeah, I really underestimated just how much space Nepenthes need. Lots of pitchers are bumping up against the glass and the Sphagnum is starting to get really dense in some areas. The lowland species seem to especially like these crowded, humid conditions. My N. Ampullaria 'Harlequin' and N. mirabalis have had there leaf sizes quadruple in size. Sadly, the small H. ampullaria "Green" I received in a trade, died a few weeks ago from unknown causes. I regret not getting something bigger but I simply lack space for a really large terrarium. I'm going to have to just trim things back now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep an eye out on your local craigslist, I've seen aquariums of significant size go for a couple hundred. They devalue after use, nobody can get back what they paid for them. I used to grow in an 150 gallon (tall, not wide) tank that could handle the height of flowering vines and mature plants. Even something like that would suit you possibly permanently if you didn't expand your collection too much more, and were willing to cut down vines that got too tall after a while.

For the mean time...square pots! I underestimated how much more space I could make, (and how many more plants I could fit) in my growing area and am now switching everything over slowly. I've been using Hydrofarm square white pots, http://www.ecogrow.com/5-x-5-square-...ach-p-966.html once I saw them at a local hydroponics store. They're great because they're taller than wide....even more space!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12