User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: High-fired ceramic by yours trully!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No need to apologize! I too am pretty new here and was asking the same thing a few weeks ago. It's a big benefit auction for the National Sarracenia Conservation where members (and others) put up plants and other goods for auction and the proceeds go towards protecting land and other good causes. There should be a bunch of great plants/other stuff up for auction. I believe it starts on the 30th.

*edit* Oops NON beat me to it.
    Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure I could make a set of planters with inscribed/carved cps on the side. Raw clay on the inside, porous non-toxic high fire glaze on the outside!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful work . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would be sweet! Some cool sgraffito would be awesome! Although I've heard you want ceramic pots for CP's to be glazed on the inside as well. Otherwise minerals from the clay could be detrimental when they seep into the soil after waterings. So I hear..

heatherfeather knows the weather! lil hokie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im so very jealous! I want to make my own pots soooo badly.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by East_to_west View Post
    That would be sweet! Some cool sgraffito would be awesome! Although I've heard you want ceramic pots for CP's to be glazed on the inside as well. Otherwise minerals from the clay could be detrimental when they seep into the soil after waterings. So I hear..
    I've heard about that as well. Though I've discussed with very serious and experienced Flytrap expert Steve Doonan, arguing your point stated above. It appears that high fire clay has incorporated all materials including minerals as the glass form of ceramic. Ceramic is a true glass, and straight out of the kiln, it is practically sterile and inert. Whereas glazing on the inside with certain materials will eventually leach. Glazes that contain barium, cobalt, iron (low fire) etc. are toxic and leak quiet a bit. There are some glazes that are safe on the inside, but I figure leaving it raw takes out the guess work and allows the soil to stay a bit cooler. I've not seen extreme evidence on either side and I think it depends on the clay, technique, glaze, and kiln temperature. the setup at my school is high-fire reduction, perfect for plant pots.

Outside of this hobby, lower fire, softer, porous glazes are preferred as they allow the most breathing and organic/rustic aging on a pot. These are excluded from our hobby because the raw clay does leach because not all of it's content is true glass.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful artwork! I do ceramics in school, and have tried my hand at throwing, but I'm much better at hand-built. I've made pots that look like pitcher plants, and many other sculptures and such as well. I envy those who can throw well, though.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting David! I'll trust that you know what your talking about Good news anyway,thanks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast