What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera and Sphagnum Low care Setup

So my girlfriend and I were both getting tired of not being able to open my bathroom door fully because of the ginormous grow rack I built to replace the Lowes one that collapsed from the weight of all my plants... So I downsized everything! Also I needed something that took less effort to take care of because of all the traveling I will be doing this summer and I figured refilling trays was easier than having to hand water a grow rack. Anyway... First a pic of the ginormous old setup and then the new setup.

The original Lowes grow tent that collapsed under the weight of everything.

IMG_0794 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

The grow rack I built to take its place that worked fine, but I mismeasured and it wound up about 6" too wide and too long. so it barely fit through the door...

IMG_1883 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

Step 1 was buy two 24" long hefty tubs with locking lids, 15 medium sized acrylic display cases from the container store for $1.80 a piece, and two typical seedling tray lids with air vents.
Step 2 cut out the proper size hole in the lid so that the lid will sit in there snuggly and silicone both sides. This is to make the entire setup airtight.

IMG_5542 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

IMG_5543 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

Step 3: While the silicone dries drill holes in the lid and bottom of your 15 acrylic containers. The trick I have found to not cracking the acrylic is to have the drill bit going as fast as possible and apply minimal pressure, just enough to make a mark on the acrylic, each hole took about 30-60seconds.

IMG_5544 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

IMG_5545 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

Step 4: Once all your holes are drilled arrange your new pots however you want in your tub.

IMG_5546 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

Step 5: I chose to use perlite as a base media for my sphagnum because it allows for greater airflow and minimal nutrient buildup. Also it doesn't really cloud up the water that will be sitting in the bottom of the container when the whole thing is set up.

IMG_5548 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

Step 6: Set everything up!

5V4B1286 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

A view of the custom lid.

5V4B1287 by mcmcnair, on Flickr
With customizeable vents!

5V4B1288 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

Add plants and 4ft, 4 bulb HO T5 light fixture and your setup is complete!

5V4B1290 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

The sundew container.

5V4B1293 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

The sphagnum container

5V4B1294 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

A few randoms shots

5V4B1297 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

5V4B1298 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

5V4B1299 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

5V4B1300 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

I hope you guys enjoyed the basic tutorial and like the new setup we'll see what kind of temps I get soon.

Nicely done!

I'm liking it! :)

I love it! You could go into manufacturing.
Looks very clean, especially the tops of the dew pots.

1309300880715.jpg

great setup! When i put drainage holes in plastic a soldering iron works great, and no risk of cracking it
Travis

Back