Informational! Informational!:  3
Likes Likes:  13
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Reboot: Starting anew with some of my old plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i use thin hosing and just siphon the water out of the bottom of my tank/benches and into a 5 gallon bucket. makes the process easy and no pump required

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nightsky View Post
    Yeah, I also thought of just getting a small submersible pump that I could run every now and then to pull water out of the bottom, without having to remove all the plants and egg crate every so often to do it by hand. But, I've yet to find one that will fit into the 1.5" height under the egg crate. Dont' want to raise it up, as it's only 18" to the top to begin with before the false bottom. Gotta have room for them to grow. Right now I've just got a humidifier pipe into the top, with a glass top and lights above. Just have it on a timer, but have thought about getting that hygrotherm. Just a little pricey, so I'm trying to nail things down with the timer first.

I stuck a 80mm computer fan in there that turns on intermittently. I just spliced it into a 12v adapter. What is the power adapter you are using for yours?
    I use a 2Amp power supply from these guys. I got a 5 Amp one for my big tanks but it failed after a while. Also since I don't need more than one fan or two fans max, I didnt bother with another.

Coolerguys 100-240v AC to 12 / 5v DC 4pin Molex 2A Power Adapter

I also got a bunch of connectors from them to convert that molex to a 2 pin/3 pin fan.

Regd the humidity...Matt, I personally don't think you should bother. The tanks keep humidity very well and unless you are running the fan too long, It should be fine by a timer. Regd 18", yup...thats why I didn't do a false bottom. Plus I did not want to bother with making it. So instead I went the drainage layer route. I used a nice affordable exo terra biodrain mesh on top of it and basically I keep an eye on water level. Its less than a month old and so far I don't see a water level yet. I haven't thoroughly watered the plants since i repotted them. I just keep misting them and the substrate roughly everyday.

@myles...yeah...I might go that route..rather than a pump and everything...just once in a month or so, perhaps I'll put a tube in from the side into the drainage layer and siphon out water. Ofcourse it would be cooler if I had a seperate tube on the side that could be hooked up to a external pump that once in a month automatically drains water out for a min or so.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oye V!!!!!

welcome back and with a vengeance I see!!

you, your skills and your plants have been missed old friend....

looking good v!

was you able to touch base with maiden on the heli?

hope so, he was holding one for you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yup , great to see you getting started again.

im sure youll do great .

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to see a bit of demotivation was all you suffered from, Varun. I think I would have been utterly demoralized. Coming back at all, even with a reduced collection, still says a lot about you. The current batch of plants looks as good as ever, and I'm sure there will be friends down the road who can help you acquire some of those lost rarities.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks B, Jimmy and Mato. Trust me Mato....B knows....I was demoralized. I was surprised the left over plants actually held on as long as they did..over an year with terrible care. Some of these haven't pitchered in over an year. Just terrible growth showing they are unhappy. I never ever imagined I could get seedlings of pure jamban, flava, villosa, dubia, aristo and rajah, but I did. They grew well and looked good but all died. Not to mention all the expensive UHL nepenthes. I personally don't know if I will ever get those kind of seeds again....but I guess it was the plants themselves which stuck to life and made me come back. The capacity is lower as you can see, but hopefully I can inch the quality back up later.

Yeah B... I contacted maiden. But as you can see the tank is full. I can't even put two extra pots with some nice mosses inside. lol. In the meanwhile, his tank was full too and the plant was sitting outside and someone who is just starting out wanted it, so he gave it to him. I think thats way better than me getting it as I don't have the space either. Thanks very much to both of you for holding it for me though. I guess with limited space, there is a cap of how many things I can have in my collection now...not to mention a limitation on size as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Varun good to see you getting back at it!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Drew.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast