Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Reboot: Starting anew with some of my old plants

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool New stand for tank#2

A very exciting update for me. I hate making a mess at my parents house. So I am excited to finally clean up the second tank....which honestly I never thought I would ever get. But a gift certificate that had to be used compelled me to get one. But thats already done... here is my newest aquistion that I just got today. I was looking high and low for a good deal on this. Finally found a used one and I love it.

Love the clean look

There they are side by side

Closeup on the tank on its new pedestal. Time to start a major job to finish the interior. I have some crazy idea which has a lot of chance for failure...but if it works, it will be the exact look I wanted to achieve for a long long while.

Love the lines..hahahha

And there we go, as it stands now. I major major tech update will be coming. I really can't wait to see it myself in action.

cheers

V

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool DIY hanger for light

My first major DIY that I ever did in my life. I wanted to have a nice-looking mount for the new light for my tank.

Plans

Cutting aluminium to size

Assembly trial

Everything was then taken apart to finish off the mounting arm

Finished product

Assembled

Next up, rigging the hanging of this fixture. Although after spending a fortune on this light fixture, I must say I am not too pleased by the intensity. My T8 dual fixtyre you see here seems even brighter. Lets see how it fares. One expensive leap of faith.

cheers

Varun
    Last edited by vraev; 09-23-2014 at 11:32 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread is really giving me the itch to try terrariums again! It looks like the common practice is to top water, then find a way to drain off the excess? Or is just misting best? Either way, I love the pics.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks.

It depends on the plant. Some plants like orchids hate the misting system and they constantly get problems and go downhill. But others like nepenthes and most CPs don't care about misting as long as they get a good flow of water through the soil. They don't care about misting...atleast in my setup...but the consensus is that helis hate misting, cephs hate misting. But i find both these are alright...but actually some neps hate misting. Although I can't really separate them in my setup.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Varun, your setup is incredible. You should start building and selling them to other growers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very Very nice. Especially love the pictures in your July update.
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Heli. Haha. Thanks. Well...I like designing stuff, but don't like the DIY bits myself. I prefer ready-to-use stuff. But often I like to make things automated and that along with a need for aesthetics compels me to go to extra trouble.

Thanks guys for the kind words. I actually worked pretty
    hard to get this second tank to the exact look I envisioned...and I am really happy how it turned out. I just need to finish the actual tank off with the base substrate layer, perhaps a water area and the background for orchids.

Anyways... finally..everything is in place. I got my hanging kit

My dad helped me drill into the horizontal arm at the perfect place and the fixture is dead centre on the tank. Really happy with how it looks

Fixture is already on schedule and in "night mode" so its fully off. Currently as you can see, its set at a max of 75% intensity. Lets see how the VFTs do. The LEDs get pretty hot...the fan comes on at 100% intensity almost immediately. Fingers crossed or this is going to be one expensive blunder.

I still need to get a proper tool to cut off the excess steel braided cable. My pliers failed.

But, also still need to finish the background and modify the false bottom of this tank. I want to try a water area with some clean water...but early experiments show it will be very very difficult as the peat leeches a lot of tannins and along with algae, this makes the water slimy and dirty. I need an aternate way to pull it off. So still working that out.

EDit...waning phase of the sunlight

thunderstorm mode:

Last edited by vraev; 09-25-2014 at 04:31 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is the most epic build I have ever seen. May I ask how you cool the terrariums?
    "Be quiet! The plants will hear y... noooooo!" 'chomp - burp!'

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast